Boot failure: "no inittab file found"

Hello!
I run (or used to run) a Manjaro system with KDE. I have turned on my computer today to be greeted by the following horrific message:

" INIT: No inittab file found
Enter runlevel: "

I have uselessly tried offer a few random numbers as “runlevel” – to no avail, of course. I am not a very experienced user, and what help I have gathered from google has more mystified than helped me. Should I go for full reinstall?

Here is a breakdown of runlevels … are you saying none of those worked?

Run Level Mode Action
0 Halt Shuts down system
1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins
2 Multi-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces or start daemons.
3 Multi-User Mode with Networking Starts the system normally.
4 Undefined Not used/User-definable
5 X11 As runlevel 3 + display manager(X)
6 Reboot Reboots the system

You may also try here:

It would help if you mentioned some more info like which bootloader and what kernel arguments you use etc…
Also this:

Thank you for your reply!

Here is a breakdown of runlevels … are you saying none of those worked?

I have tried 1, 3 and 5, and the reply I get each time is: (Edit: and also 2, 4, 6 and 0)

INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

I checked out the advice in the “How to work with an unbootable Manjaro” topic. I booted from a Manjaro USB (the same I used to install my system from a few weeks ago), opened Yakuake and entered:

manjaro-chroot -a

What I get is:

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1.  Check your device.map.
    ==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sda3]
     --> mount: [/mnt]
     --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
     --> mount: [/mnt/home]

It would help if you mentioned some more info like which bootloader and what kernel arguments you use etc…

I don’t know how to provide that sort of information, sorry! But thanks for pointing me to the “How to provide good information” post.