Bluetooth speaker stutters when Bluetooth mouse is connected

• What device are you using?

Pinebook Pro

• What edition of Manjaro-ARM is installed? (eg minimal, server, etc.)

Pinebook Pro KDE

• When did you last run updates and reboot?

About a week ago.

• What package contains the bug?

I am not sure.

• Describe the bug the best you can. What where you doing when the bug happened?

1. Connect a Bluetooth speaker and a Logitech MX Vertical mouse via Bluetooth to the Pinebook Pro.
    2. Playback audio through the Bluetooth speaker.
    3. You should be able to notice the audio stuttering before long, within 10 seconds.

Note:

• Wifi is connected to a 5 GHz channel.
    • GNOME Podcasts is playing the audio.
  • Any workarounds or known fixes?

Disconnect the Bluetooth mouse and the stuttering disappears.

Update

This appears to only happen when connected to a Logitech MX Vertical mouse.
The mouse also stutters much like the audio.
When I connect a Jelli Comb mouse via Bluetooth, there is no audio stutter or mouse lag.

I've heard about this in the Pine64 channels too. It's like the bluetooth is not capable of running 2 things at once. :frowning:
Sadly not much we can do about it, since we use the firmware from broadcom.

1 Like

Thanks @Strit!
I missed those posts in the Pine64 channels. :sweat_smile:
Hopefully this post will help to notify others who run into the same issue.

1 Like

No issues here... usually connect my Philips bluetooth speaker and Microsoft mouse when powering the system up. No audio problems with Shortwave or videos in Firefox (public television, youtube)....

Btw: the audio profile for the bluetooth speaker is selected to High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink).

UPDATE: just reconnected my Bluetooth keyboard as well. When doing the search in the BlueMan the audio starts stuttering. After initiating the connection though everything runs smooth again.

1 Like

Thanks @appelgriebsch. That made me think to try a different Bluetooth mouse, and the stutter disappeared when I did. I've updated my post above with the details.

1 Like

There are some bluetooth devices that have bad antenna configuration that kills wireless performance. As such the emitter and receiver need to be in close proximity to work with acceptable latency. Usually when multiple devices are connected this effect is increased as more data needs to be pushed through.

Try placing the speaker close by and check if the stutter continues. If it does then your mouse has a bad antenna and is not returning acknowledgement packets in a timely manner causing them to be resent multiple times. This kills audio performance due to latency.

1 Like

@hex, following your suggestion and placing the speaker close to the device resolves the stutter.

Forum kindly sponsored by