Updater wants to uninstall 2 apps, i do not know how to prevent

Today i have seen new updates to the system, i deselected Firefox and then i have seen:

Warning: installing wxgtk2 (3.0.5.1-2) breaks dependency ‘wxgtk’ required by freefilesync
Add freefilesync to remove
Warning: installing wxgtk2 (3.0.5.1-2) breaks dependency ‘wxgtk’ required by mkvtoolnix-git
Add mkvtoolnix-git to remove

if i am amateur user, i start being confused what to do, if i want to keep using freefilesync and mkvtoolnix. what means to add it to remove.

Then on next screen:

so it confirms what i was afraid, it wants to remove two apps that i do not want to be removed.
So what to do now? and in similar cases in future?

It seems some AUR packages require an update in their PKGUILD.

Since today, wxgtk2 is not build with provides=(wxgtk)
I changed the dependency from wxgtk to wxgtk2 and freefilesync builds successfully and runs with no problem

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freefilesync

2 Likes

$ sudo pacman -Syu

looking for conflicting packages…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing wxgtk2 (3.0.5.1-2) breaks dependency ‘wxgtk’ required by freefilesync
:: installing wxgtk2 (3.0.5.1-2) breaks dependency ‘wxgtk’ required by mkvtoolnix-git

obvious question, how to update and keep apps that i mentioned.

yes, i have tried “yay --editmenu -S freefilesync” and somehow got into editing mode where i replaced wxgtk with wxgtk2 on the first page of the editor. then build was going on for 15 minutes and finished ==> Finished making: freefilesync 11.4-1 (date and time here)
==> Cleaning up…
[sudo] password for me:
sudo: timed out reading password
sudo: a password is required
$ sudo pacman -Syu

looking for conflicting packages…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing wxgtk2 (3.0.5.1-2) breaks dependency ‘wxgtk’ required by freefilesync
:: installing wxgtk2 (3.0.5.1-2) breaks dependency ‘wxgtk’ required by mkvtoolnix-git

still can not update, same error

It finished making the package, except…

It was never installed. Instead of trying again…

…you ran a completely unrelated command… :thinking:

Now you can hop into Yay’s cache and install it manually:

cd ~/.cache/yay/freefilesync
makepkg -i

:wink:

4 Likes

Thank you, that helped and i can now upgrade thanks to you, i did same steps also for other package, though it again ended with timed out reading password (so i have to makepkg -i manually). Weird, i think developers should fix this issue and the command “yay --editmenu -S mkvtoolnix-git” should either a) not timeout and wait indefinitely for password or b) ask password at the beginning. Because building takes long time sometimes and user like me have better things to do than starring at building (i have seen one build wasting my computer resources for more than half a day).

Moreover, this issue should not happened at the first place. Newbie user should not need to ask at forum and know how to fix it, the output of the pacman -Syu mentioned in first post should be more informative on what user can do.

man yay | less -p --sudoloop

:wink:

2 Likes

@Yochanan i have bad memory on the commands, so i have added
alias yay=‘yay --sudoloop’
to my ~/.bashrc
but this may be just a workaround that most regular users do not know about., not a fix that would prevent confusion and time wasting of many users who just use yay command which someone given in a tutorial or on webpage etc.

No need for that, you can just save it to the config file:

yay --save --sudoloop
1 Like