Bluetooth headset Pairing works but connection does not

bluetooth
audio
kde
pulseaudio

Hi guys, I am having issues with my bluetooth headset.
I followed this guide
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth_headset#Configuration_via_CLI
to set up my bluetooth headset. However it stops working after awhile or if i were to reboot my computer.

The headset is paird but unable to connect.

I did further reading on the forum and the guides but nothing is helping :(:cry:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth_headset#Pairing_works.2C_but_connecting_does_not

Here is my attempt to connect using bluetoothctl

[bluetooth]# connect A0:E9:DB:1F:E4:E7
Attempting to connect to A0:E9:DB:1F:E4:E7
[CHG] Device A0:E9:DB:1F:E4:E7 Connected: yes
Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failed
[CHG] Device A0:E9:DB:1F:E4:E7 Connected: no
[bluetooth]# 

this is the output from

$ journalctl -n 20
Feb 09 20:16:58 dylan-pc pulseaudio[895]: E: [pulseaudio] backend-native.c: Device doesnt exist for /
Feb 09 20:16:58 dylan-pc bluetoothd[517]: Headset Voice gateway replied with an error: org.bluez.Erro
Feb 09 20:16:58 dylan-pc pulseaudio[895]: E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: Information about device /or
Feb 09 20:16:58 dylan-pc bluetoothd[517]: Endpoint replied with an error: org.bluez.Error.InvalidArgu
Feb 09 20:16:59 dylan-pc dbus-daemon[519]: [system] Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="met
Feb 09 20:17:00 dylan-pc bluetoothd[517]: Access denied: Canceled
Feb 09 20:17:01 dylan-pc pulseaudio[895]: E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: Information about device /or
Feb 09 20:17:01 dylan-pc bluetoothd[517]: Endpoint replied with an error: org.bluez.Error.InvalidArgu
Feb 09 20:17:01 dylan-pc dbus-daemon[519]: [system] Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="met
Feb 09 20:17:03 dylan-pc bluetoothd[517]: Access denied: Canceled

Anyone has any idea how to should proceed?

Occasionally I’ve had to do

systemctl restart bluetooth

Then I power on the bluetooth phones, select the bluetooth from the tray, and select the headphones and click connect.

Then You have to check that the sound system move over to the phones, because it doesn’t always do that by itself.

I don’t generally listen on phones, so I can’t say if this survives a sleep. (I virtually never reboot).

But my impression is that the bluetooth audio stack is a little flaky in linux in general.

when u say occasionally how often it that?

For me I have to delete the headset from my computer, pair, connect, trust and configure settings every time I turn on the PC.

Once I stop playing songs or if i were to leave it alone for abit it will stop working. Sometimes when I am streaming youtube, the buffering stops. :frowning:

My pc prolly shares the antenna for bluetooth and wifi. Stil trying to figure out how to go about this. I have seen some soltuions to change the transmission rate for bluetooth.
Let me know if you have any idea how attack this issue.
:slight_smile:

Not very often.

I only reboot when there is a new kernel, other times I just log out or let it fall into sleep mode. I turn my headset off all the time to save battery.

The blue tooth icon in the tray turns black when nothing is available to connect (headset turned off). Soon as I power headphones on, it connects, music switches from speakers to headphone just like you’d expect.

I’ll try a power off just to test this out. I’ll post back.

Ok, I’m back…
I was listening to music, and I just shutdown from the kde menu. didn’t even bother to stop the music or turn off the headphones.
When I rebooted, it came up normally, the bluetooth Icon in the tray was black, (no connections). I started the music player, and it played on the speakers. I clicked the bluetooth icon, and selected the headphones and clicked connect. Music jumped from speakers to headphones as I would expect. Powered off the headset, music jumped to speakers. Exactly as I would expect.

There may be some sleep issue with your bluetooth chipset, or TPL or something putting your bluetooth chipset to sleep. (Mine is a separate USB device on this machine).

I’m really at a loss why yours won’t save its configuration.

But I am suspicious of that Access Denied message.

Hello there,

thanks for your reply. Currently I am approaching your method. Whenever I am away from my laptop, I disconnect from the system tray then turn off my headset.
This way, when I am back to my laptop, I just turn on my headset and the bluetooth connects automatically(I leave my laptop’s bluetooth on)

What I notice is that, if I were to simply turn off my headset without disconnecting from the system tray, I have to reconfigure bluetooth on the next start up. Weird.

As for “No adapters Found” issue, it hasn’t come up again and hopefully it doesn’t.

I am suspecting TLP configuration a possible issue. Do u know how to configure bluetooth settings for TLP?

I think there were some issues with bluetooth these days, presumably solved in the last testing update. It should be available to stable fairly soon.
Cheers,

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.