Bluetooth headphone not connecting

DE - i3wm

Suddenly (I don’t think there was a recent update), when I try to connect my bluetooth headset to my Manjaro computer, I get an error -
Connection failed: Protocol not available

Here are some logs -

[reik@reik-msi ~]$ journalctl -u bluetooth | tail
Jan 24 20:32:37 reik-msi bluetoothd[3742]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEMinConnectionInterval” in group “Controller”
Jan 24 20:32:37 reik-msi bluetoothd[3742]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEMaxConnectionInterval” in group “Controller”
Jan 24 20:32:37 reik-msi bluetoothd[3742]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEConnectionLatency” in group “Controller”
Jan 24 20:32:37 reik-msi bluetoothd[3742]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEConnectionSupervisionTimeout” in group “Controller”
Jan 24 20:32:37 reik-msi bluetoothd[3742]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEAutoconnecttimeout” in group “Controller”
Jan 24 20:32:37 reik-msi systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
Jan 24 20:32:37 reik-msi bluetoothd[3742]: Starting SDP server
Jan 24 20:32:37 reik-msi bluetoothd[3742]: Bluetooth management interface 1.14 initialized
Jan 24 21:08:09 reik-msi bluetoothd[3742]: src/service.c:btd_service_connect() a2dp-sink profile connect failed for 4C:87:5D:0A:F4:C8: Protocol not available
Jan 24 21:12:48 reik-msi bluetoothd[3742]: src/service.c:btd_service_connect() a2dp-sink profile connect failed for 4C:87:5D:0A:F4:C8: Protocol not available

How should I fix this?

Did you try # systemctl restart bluetooth
Also make sure you did not uninstall pulseaudio-bluetooth by some unfortunate circumstances.

Yup. Didn’t work :frowning:

Nope, I have it. (pulseaudio-modules-bt-git provides pulseaudio-bluetooth)

Just a possibility:
when I do the
journalctl -u bluetooth | tail
command I get almost exactly the same output
The difference is in the version that is reported.

Yours is:
Bluetooth management interface 1.14 initialized
and then the errors

mine is:

Bluetooth management interface 1.18 initialized
Endpoint registered: sender=:1.36 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink/sbc
Endpoint registered: sender=:1.36 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource/sbc

That leads me to think that an update is in order - or that a partial upgrade has occured.
It’s just a guess - 1.14 could be the current version in Manjaro.
I’m not on Manjaro, only have it as a VM.

I have no bluetooth related updates pending.

No need for the picture as a proof. :wink:
So, your system is (not quite fully) up to date.

I have no idea as to how to investigate further - maybe someone else has.

… I thought the Manjaro updates to stable came in bigger chunks …

I don’t know if it is the reason of your problem but pulseaudio-modules-bt-git looks like it is installed from the AUR and not the Manjaro repository. Maybe the AUR package is conflicting with some other Manjaro dependency. I would take a careful look at what packages you have installed from the AUR and which packages they have replaced that were preinstalled by Manjaro.

pulseaudio-modules-bt-git provides pulseaudio-bluetooth
that might be it
for reference:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bluetooth_headset#Pairing_works,_but_connecting_does_not

1 Like

Thank you.

This is what I did -

  • Did a clean install of pulseaudio-modules-bt-git
  • Loaded module-bluetooth-discover - pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover

And it works!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.