Blender does not start after installation

The good idea from devs…

I meant to type for, not from. Sorry here :neutral_face:.
EDIT:

*don’t want to wait

@SpacingBat3, the other approach you could take is flatpak? Or appimage?

At first it was only boost (you can go around it with some flags) which is odd as the package hasn’t been updated in relatively long time - it’s coming from Arch Arm btw.

I haven’t spent time to figure out why openimageio goes bust during the compile after the package has been updated. Hopefully it will turn out to be something that won’t require tons of time (pipedream but still :laughing: )

I asked on the Panfrost IRC and geometry shaders aren’t scheduled at least for now (maybe once they finish with gles 3.1 + Bifrost). This excludes blender 2.80+ for now on Rockchip (I don’t count fbturbo as viable alternative).

I don’t know what’s the situation on RPi but there was some talk about Vulkan support in upcoming Blender versions. And there are experimental Vulkan drivers for the Pi so it’s something worth keeping an eye on

Mmmm, interesting. I need to check if this will work: rBS75be60a66755

OK, you are free to use this repo to install missing libraries:

I’ve created this repo quite fast, so you can use it as a workaround till the next update of blender-2.7-es2 that works with the newest libs.

1 Like

If something is stupid, but it works, it is not stupid. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s never worked for me with Manjaro on my RPI4 and was beginning to think it was just me. As you’ve mentioned below it does work with Raspian and from my own messing about it works with quite a new version on Ubuntu Server, it looks like I’ll have to continue with that for a while.

AFAIK Rasbian has the Blender version 2.79, so for the RPi4B it should also work fine using the package: blender-2.7-es2 with the libs that I provided through my GitHub repo. BTW It is the solution I personally use on Manjaro ARM. Also I did some updates to repo that should fix some issues (when the lib were installed twice instead of installing it once and doing a symlink to it). It should have no issues now.

@SpacingBat3, after some unsuccessful attempts to create a patch using this as a reference: https://developer.blender.org/D6659 I’ve changed tact and just disabled Boost when compiling. This solved the issue during compile.

Finishing a couple of things atm and then I will push the change to my repo.

Note: Stable and Testing branches use different version of openimageio atm. This means that a separate build is required for each branch.

Alright finally pushed the update to the remote: https://github.com/psstoyanov/blender-2.7-es2 Removed a few of the flags and disabled boost.

Now here are my two builds targeting:

I can see that ALARM already has jumped to openimageio-2.2.9.0-1, most likely it will need a recompile when it trickles to manjaro arm.

@Strit, maybe it will be time to update the package :slight_smile: (on my rp64 the compile took about 30-ish minutes without distcc)

1 Like

Rebuilding it now.

1 Like

@Strit can’t install the new package on unstable:
error: blender-2.7-es2: signature from "Dan Johansen (Manjaro) <strit@manjaro.org>" is invalid :: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/blender-2.7-es2-2.79b.r71421.e045fe53f1b-6-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).

Something with the key is going haywire

Please try again.
The key is fine, it’s used for all my packages and has been for years now.

Still the same error on my PBP.
Edit: Alright, checked the keyring and a couple of other things. What I should’ve done from start is to try to install it from cache:

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/blender-2.7-es2-2.79b.r71421.e045fe53f1b-6-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst 
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) blender-2.7-es2-2.79b.r71421.e045fe53f1b-6

Total Installed Size:  74.49 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                    [###############################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                  [###############################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                       [###############################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                 [###############################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                               [###############################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing blender-2.7-es2                                                  [###############################################] 100%
error: could not extract /usr/bin/blender-2.7 (Zstd decompression failed: Corrupted block detected)
error: problem occurred while installing blender-2.7-es2
error: could not commit transaction
error: failed to commit transaction (transaction aborted)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

That’s some better feedback from the system :slightly_smiling_face:

Alright! blender-2.7-es2-2.79b.r71421.e045f353f1b-6.1 is on the unstable channel and it appears to work as expected on the rp64 && PBP. Thank you, @Strit!

2 Likes

With the jump to python 3.9 in unstable, some patching will be required.

Blender-2.7-es2 can be considered broken with python 3.9 for now (will investigate on how to resolve it).

1 Like

Alright, tasks for tomorrow :smiley:

CYBERDEViL has kindly posted the changes he made to compile blender-2.7b on the AUR package I used as a model: https://notabug.org/CYBERDEViL/AUR/commit/90abd2e11907fecb9772bcfde4af489376991d60

And the next version is now in the unstable channel built against Python 3.9 :smiley: