Blackscreen at login & Can't change login theme, Permission denied

Hello,

When i start up my laptop Dell Precision 5530, i don’t see a login screen i just see black screen and i usually just type my password and it let me login but if i make mistake then i need to restart laptop to blindly login.

When i ran updates it automatically changed my theme from Breeze to Breath2 and i can’t change it back, it gives me permission denied error.

DBus Backend error: service start org.kde.kcontrol.kcmsddm failed: Failed to execute program org.kde.kcontrol.kcmsddm: Permission denied"

I have NVIDIA-SMI 465.19.01 driver installed with this GitHub - Frogging-Family/nvidia-all: Nvidia driver 460 to 396 series AIO installer

This is my sddm.conf file from /etc and i haven’t changed anything from that file.

[Autologin]
Relogin=false
Session=plasma

[General]
HaltCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl poweroff
InputMethod=
Numlock=none
RebootCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl reboot

[Theme]
Current=breath2
CursorTheme=breeze_cursors
DisableAvatarsThreshold=7
EnableAvatars=true
FacesDir=/usr/share/sddm/faces
ThemeDir=/usr/share/sddm/themes

[Users]
DefaultPath=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin
HideShells=
HideUsers=
MaximumUid=60000
MinimumUid=1000
RememberLastSession=true
RememberLastUser=true
ReuseSession=false

[Wayland]
EnableHiDPI=false
SessionCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/wayland-session
SessionDir=/usr/share/wayland-sessions
SessionLogFile=.local/share/sddm/wayland-session.log

[X11]
DisplayCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
DisplayStopCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xstop
EnableHiDPI=false
MinimumVT=1
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp
ServerPath=/usr/bin/X
SessionCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsession
SessionDir=/usr/share/xsessions
SessionLogFile=.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log
UserAuthFile=.Xauthority
XauthPath=/usr/bin/xauth
XephyrPath=/usr/bin/Xephyr

If you need more information and this is my first post here so if i am missing something then just ask it away.

Thanks in advance!

Can anyone help me out? if you need more information then just ask.

Hi, welcome to the Manjaro community. It looks to me like you have a polkit issue, and at a guess this may be down to an incomplete update or filesystem error after your last update. I would try the following in this order:

1. Log out of GUI, switch to tty2 with Ctrl+Alt+F2, log in and run sudo pacman -Syyu to force database refresh and update, to make sure system is fully updated.
  2. I assume your filesystem is being checked on boot either with fsck mkinitcpio hook, or systemd (please let me know if unsure how to check). You may still have a corrupted configuration file somewhere though, so it is probably worth making a new user to see if the issue persists there.

You can also check to see that your polkit service is active for your user(s) using ps aux | grep polkit.

Hallo Summrum,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I logged in to tty2 and refreshed & updated everything, there ware a lot of updates.
I restarted my laptop and went again to tty2 to create a second user and restarted my laptop again.

When the laptop was booted it was blackscreen at login usually i just type password and i am in but now there are 2 users and entering my password was not working because you have to select a user and i cant see anything so i just went to tty2 and deleted the user.
With that i could login again by typing my password at the blackscreen(loginscreen).

Here is the result of polkit:

[jawido@JPC-5530 ~/]$ ps aux | grep polkit
polkitd 853 0.0 0.1 2983448 24288 ? Ssl 10:03 0:00 /usr/lib/polkit-1/polkitd --no-debug
jawido 2011 0.0 0.2 430488 47872 ? Sl 10:03 0:00 /usr/lib/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1
jawido 52636 0.0 0.0 6428 2292 pts/1 S+ 10:12 0:00 grep --colour=auto polkit

Anything else i can try? the problem is still there