Black screen DURING first update on a new install, corrupts everything

Hello all, I’ve been a linux mint user for a long time, and I wanted to try an arch-based distro. However, I’m already encountering problems on a brand new install.

I can install manjaro just fine, and it boots correctly. Right away, I want to do an update. Everything goes smooth up until it has finished downloading all the updates. After the downloads are completed, it goes into a stage called “verifying integrity of packages” or something similar (this happens so fast it’s hard to see).

During this part, my screen totally blacks out for a solid 1 to 2 minutes. After that, the screen comes back on and it shows log in screen. I am able to log in again… but everything is seemingly corrupted. Most programs won’t launch, including chromium or the default terminal, and if something decides to open, it takes forever.

So, I manage to get the update manager open again and re-run the update. This time, once the downloads finish, I get the “invalid or corrupted package (missing pgp)” error.

This sequence of events happens every time I do a fresh install. I’ve tried pretty much all of the suggestions in the following page both before and after I attempt the first update.

If I try the suggestions from that page before the initial update, the same result happens. If I try the suggestions after the failed update, I can’t even install something like manjaro-keyring. Says it’s corrupted.

Does anyone know what could be going on? I am totally lost. Thanks!

The last set of updates has a potential issue which is worked around by updating in a TTY:

You’ll find a rolling release very different to Mint, with a lot of changes arriving very regularly, so it’s good practice to read the #announcements threads.

2 Likes

Hi Johnathon, thanks for the reply! I reinstalled Manjaro again and updated from tty. I still ended up with a black screen, this time with a cursor in the top left corner. I had to manually shut down the computer. Before the black screen showed up, the update looked like it completed. I turned it back on, and it looks like the updated worked!

Thanks for the tip about the announcements board as well. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on that in the future. My Manjaro adventures can continue!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.