Black screen after switching to OSS driver (from proprietary nvidia)

Hi everybody,

I have a KDE installation (fresh install a couple of months ago) for which I was using proprietary nvidia drivers.

The CPU is a TR1950X and the GPU is an nvidia1070TI.

I was used to run Manjaro i3 for a couple of years (not on the same hardware though) without any trouble.

Bu this time with KDE I’m experiencing regular crashes which really brothers me a lot (even losing some works).

Some time to time every thing freezes unless the mouse and I’m not even able to switch to tty terminals…

It also happens some times after the computer was locked after a moment of non utilization…

Anyway, I wonder if the culprit is not nvidia drivers (which is still weird to have such an unstable system if it’s really the culprit I mean).

So I wanted to disable the proprietary drivers and try a couple of days with the OSS drivers.

I simply uninstalled nvidia drivers in manjaro settings manager.

Now the computer boots in a black screen but hopefully I’m able to switch to tty terminals.

I’m pretty sure it’s just a flag to add or delete or toggle from a config file or grub or etc.

But I don’t know where to look.

Can anyone know where to start?

Well…
Tomorrow I’ll try these steps [Fix] System doesn’t boot, boots to a black screen, or stops at a message and will update the post…

Quick update…
I didn’t find how to fix it by keeping the OSS drivers…
I saw on some logs that it couldn’t load nvidia module (which is obvious because I unistalled the nvidia drivers).
But I was unable to find where I need to tinker to remove that nvidia loading…
So I simply reinstalled nvidia driver from the tty using mhwd cli.

The problem, is that I’m still experiencing some freeze and it’s very frustrating…