Black screen after suspend and hibernate

Do this first if TTY2 works…

Do you need more detailed help with that or are you OK with generic instructions?

Added pci=acpci to /etc/default/grub.
Here is journalctl after that: https://pastebin.com/aWJZispw

unchecked MSR access error: WRMSR to 0x123

Try kernel 5.9

oct. 23 14:43:57 hp-pavilion15 unknown[1033]: Error terminating login1 session: The connection is closed
oct. 23 14:43:59 hp-pavilion15 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=9/KILL
oct. 23 14:43:59 hp-pavilion15 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
oct. 23 14:43:59 hp-pavilion15 systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

Those ones are weird though… Can you:

• reboot
  • create a new user
  • suspend and come back there.

Does that work?

Also: Have you ever had another DE than XFCE on your PC?

Switched to kernel 5.9. I created a new user with useradd -m. If I switch to the new user then I don’t have optimus-manager, should I add the new user to sudoers and reinstall it there?

With 5.9, the error is still there :
oct. 23 18:28:14 hp-pavilion15 kernel: unchecked MSR access error: RDMSR from 0x123 at rIP: 0xffffffff9c871d44 (native_read_msr+0x4/0x30)

There is only XFCE on my laptop, the only thing I changed is LightDM GTK to LightDM WebKit. I tried changing back to LightDM GTK but that didn’t solve the problem.

:sob:

Try first without, (Bare naked virgin profile) and if that doesn’t work neither, only then make user admin, blah blah. :wink: :grin:

:+1:

But then how do I switch to nvidia graphics without optimus :thinking:, I’m confused. The black screen only happens when the laptop runs only on nvidia graphics

Judging from the fact that the display manager appears on an external monitor, but not on the internal display, I think the most probable cause is that the nvidia gpu somehow fails to send the images to the internal one.

1 Like

Is there maybe a way to indicate to the driver to select the internal monitor? I see these lines:

[   231.709] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[   231.709] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[   231.710] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[   232.544] (II) Applying OutputClass "nvidia" options to /dev/dri/card1
[   232.544] (II) Applying OutputClass "nvidia" options to /dev/dri/card1
[   232.544] (II) Loading sub module "glxserver_nvidia"
[   232.544] (II) LoadModule: "glxserver_nvidia"
[   232.544] (II) Loading /usr/lib/nvidia/xorg/libglxserver_nvidia.so
[   232.552] (II) Module glxserver_nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[   232.698] (II) NVIDIA(G0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: nvidia
[   427.891] (**) |-->Screen "nvidia" (0)
[   427.891] (**) |   |-->Device "nvidia"
[   427.891] (==) No monitor specified for screen "nvidia".

Maybe that’s the problem?

What @pobrn is trying to say is:

I’ts a hardware issue because the nVidia isn’t wired u to the internal screen, only to the external monitor (which unfortunately is happening more often nowadays because manufacturers cut corners / make mistakes.

:sob:

I see. I’ll stick to hybrid mode and prime-run for graphics then. Thank you and @pobrn for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.