Black screen after login

Hello i’m not sure if this is the right forum category to post in, so sorry if i am wrong.
I have a Manjaro Virtual Machine installed over VirtualBox 6.1.12 on Mac OSX 10.15.6
I discovered the problem after Mac update from 10.15.5 but honestly i don’t know if the problem was already present at the time i made the update. This because i were not using Manjaro for a few days.
My distribution is [fabio@fabio-pc ~]$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.1.1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Mikah
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=“Manjaro Linux”

The problem is that when booting i have the graphic login screen and after login i have a black screen.
Experimenting i found that if i open a terminal with Alt-F2 and logging with my account the system start correctly if i issue the command “startx”

I guessed the may be i messed up something in my user configuration so i added an other user account but logging with the other user account result in same behaviour.

What can i do ? … the system is usable but i have to start from a terminal with “startx”
Tnx in advance for any help !!!
Fabio

Alt-F2 and username and password.
Try

sudo systemctl restart lightdm

What is the output of

systemctl status lightdm.service

1 Like

Hi admdb and tnx for answer. I tried the command, the nice graphic login screen appear but again when i write username and password the screen go black. I can Alt-F2 again and repeat the process.
Nice login screen appear every time but is stil black after enter credentials …
Any hint ?

With the status command it seems to be something weird …

Blockquote
● lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Mon 2020-10-05 22:28:07 CEST; 5min ago
Docs: man:lightdm(1)
Main PID: 1171 (lightdm)
Tasks: 8 (limit: 4701)
Memory: 20.8M
CGroup: /system.slice/lightdm.service
├─1171 /usr/bin/lightdm
└─1177 /usr/lib/Xorg :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch

ott 05 22:28:07 fabio-pc systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager…
ott 05 22:28:07 fabio-pc systemd[1]: Started Light Display Manager.
ott 05 22:28:08 fabio-pc lightdm[1194]: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm(uid=620) by (uid=0)
ott 05 22:28:18 fabio-pc lightdm[1241]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
ott 05 22:28:18 fabio-pc lightdm[1241]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session
ott 05 22:28:18 fabio-pc lightdm[1241]: pam_systemd_home(lightdm:account): systemd-homed is not available: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service not found.
ott 05 22:28:18 fabio-pc lightdm[1241]: pam_unix(lightdm:session): session opened for user fabio(uid=1000) by (uid=0)
ott 05 22:28:18 fabio-pc lightdm[1241]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and unlocked keyring

Blockquote

Maybe something wrong with the displays.xml? Just remove it and let it recreate at next boot:

rm ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml

Also if the installation is a bit old, then check also with pacdiff if there are pacsave or pacnew files.

I removed the displays.xml but restarting lightdm i have the login page but after i still have black screen and displays.xml file does not be created.
However i used pacdiff and found many pacnew files … for the moment i skipped them … what i have to do ?

Please read this here then: pacman/Pacnew and Pacsave - ArchWiki

Not checking for differences between newer and older configuration files is like “fare evasion”. One or two times it goes well, but then it will got you. Pacman won’t touch your configs, but instead save the newer ones as pacsave or pacnew files.

Start xfce manually with xfce4 or startx

With startx it works … but i have to reinstall all for recover normal splash login screen startup ?
Fabio

(as a workaround) you could try to add a manual startx command to Application Autostart (in Session and Startup).

Your saying that your not sure if the problem started after the update or not since you did not use Manjaro for a few days. Where there updates in between and did it work with 10.15.5 before?

I wonder if the update to 10.15.6 had an effect in it since after the login attempt it seems that you lose complete connection to X.

As a workaround you could set the following in your .profile and make it executable with chmod +x .profile

# Start graphical server on tty2.
[ “$(tty)” = “/dev/tty2” ] && ! pgrep -x Xorg >/dev/null && exec startx

it will start an X session in tty2 after putting in your credentials.

Also what is the output of journalctl -b and your Xorg.0.log? (before you start a new session with X active I mean)

Hello the journalctl log is pretty huge to include it inline … so you can download it here
[journalctl -b]
htt_s://drive.google.com/file/d/1txNV3cM3oc7OC2971e8R5mS-ACWHH_m3/view?usp=sharing
And this is the other log requested
[Xorg.0.log]
htt_s://drive.google.com/file/d/1x8qpHK8sUCgti69EWZ2UQuj5DW2IyQ9_/view?usp=sharing

Fabio.

If you do the following you make the log scrollable, so if it’s very long, it doesn’t matter. I think people don’t usually want to go to some external site to read a log.

Unfortunately journalctl -b is about 162Kbyte and the editor limit is 150 Kb. Cannot include in line even if using the post edit function.

1 Like

I don’t have a ton to contribute here yet, but have G14/asus and started hitting this problem in the last week. I came to the same solution on my own as well to manually start window manager. I looked at journal, logs etc, nothing really stuck out. It’s the window manager i think. I lowered the boot level 4 and then manually run startx, i can get in.

Even w/o quiet,. I used journal too, i let the machine hang there for a while and then hit the power button, right after the back screen, scrolled up several seconds there were no errors of consequence. The last logs i saw
modem manager loading, but i don’t think that was the problem i think something after that is hanging, and i don’t see a log.

The good news is at least on the G14 it should be easy to reproduce, the hardware is similar and it happens for me on clean installs. I’m going to keep poking at it. I wonder if we updated Nvidia drivers recently, i had it in windows for a bit and ran an update. If there was a firmware pushed (didn’t notice) it may also explain this