Black screen after installing kernel 6.10

Just notices this:

You’ve been a naughty boy and neglecting your maintenance. That repository has been dropped for…oh, more than a year I think. So at the very least you have .pacnew files to attend to and handle.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave#.pacnew

As you know, it might not seem related, but it very well might be, since you could see in the thread how something looks like one thing but it caused by something seemingly unrelated.

The other thing, when you don’t maintain your system properly, you cannot expect things to work. In this case, it might include the drivers, I don’t know. But either way, I suggest you sort that out and try again.

That’s also a third-party, so unsupported repository. I think it comes from Sublime text, but I’m not :100: on that.

No it is not Sublime repos as they name them properly so you know what you added years later. It is MEGA repo apparently DEB_Arch_Extra - Google Suche

You didn’t install the Open Source drivers from MHWD as asked, here’s the first thing wrong.

And as pointed above, something else is wrong with your system, it can not find packages that exist (linux610-nvidia). You seem to also not maintain the system properly.

1 Like

You could also try this out:

If you encouter a black screen with no inteface after login in, it’s probably a problem with simpledrm loading.

To solve it add nvidia_drm.fbdev=1 to /etc/default/grub
in the line begining with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" .
Verify that you also have nvidia_drm.modeset=1 in the same line.
Then exec sudo update-grub

Also, verify that you have nvidia_drm in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf in the MODULES= or HOOKS= line.
Exemple :

MODULES=(nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm)

If it was not present, then run sudo mkinitcpio -P after adding it.

This fixed the update of driver 470xx and fixed the issue of the kernel. Now, I am opening from kernel 6.10. Thank you so much.

Sorry, I didn’t get that. Can you explain more, please?

So, what to do with this .pacnew?

Explicit Sync and why my apps may crash on Wayland with Nvidia hardware.
Does this par mean that Plasma 6.1 will be postponed?

It has been postponed for stable and testing - they provide Plasma 6.0.5.

As usual only unstable branch has Arch package level where provided Plasma is currently 6.1.3

$ mbn info plasma-desktop -q
Branch         : archlinux
Name           : plasma-desktop
Version        : 6.1.3-1
Repository     : extra
Build Date     : Thu 18 Jul 2024 19:46:47 
Packager       : Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava@archlinux.org>

Branch         : unstable
Version        : 6.1.3-1
Build Date     : Thu 18 Jul 2024 19:46:47 

Branch         : testing
Version        : 6.0.5-1
Build Date     : Sat 25 May 2024 22:52:20 

Branch         : stable
Version        : 6.0.5-1
Build Date     : Sat 25 May 2024 22:52:20 

What is there to explain ?

Since it was not interfering with your update - then you can ignore it.

Just remember that 3rd party repositories may interfere with system repositories and troubleshooting support is only provided for a clean manjaro system.

Not only this one, but there are many you should handle. See

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave#.pacnew

and

I think I used MEGA once.

No, I installed them from Manjaro settings, but it gives me resolution errors as if the system doesn’t recognize the GPU on all installed Kernels. So, I deleted it again.
Maybe I installed it in the wrong way?

What do you recommend for me to do regularly to maintain the system?

Okay, but it’ll be available, right?

I read that, but I didn’t get the concept or what to do with this file?

I didn’t know what to do with pacman.conf. Sorry, I don’t read a lot about the system till there is an issue with it, so I don’t get much info even if it looks simple.

How 'out the links I already provided you with:

I’m not calling you a liar, but there are very clear instructions what they are for, what they do, and how to handle them.

Hint:

It takes reading. I suspect ore than you want to do, because of:

…I suspect you don’t want to do it, not really. But not knowing your system, not knowing these things, not handling the .pacnew files for example, can cause you hopelessly to much grief.

What if… :exploding_head: what if there was something you could do to prevent those things? If not all of 'em, then at least some of them, so there’s less that can go wrong? What a :exploding_head: concept!

I’ll drop this here for passers-by;

I once had the Graphics card mentioned (GK106 / GeForce GTX 660 - 4GB) and found when using the Nouveau drivers I was plagued with seemingly incurable screen tearing – switching to the (then current) Nvidia drivers resolved that, and provided better performance overall.

1 Like

And quite possibly the nouveau drivar has improved - that GPU is more than 10y old.

The suggestion of installing the opensource driver is now obsolete and the driver issue with 610 was resulved as the real issue was an unsynced mirror.

I had today 2 updates:

[2024-07-22T11:44:11+0200] [ALPM] upgraded mhwd-nvidia-470xx (470.256.02-3 -> 470.256.02-4)
[2024-07-22T11:44:11+0200] [ALPM] upgraded mhwd-nvidia-390xx (390.157-13 -> 390.157-14)

And i saw few days ago the same error on my system, after i try to deactivate the Open Source Driver for my nvidia GPU.

Do you think there is a relation?

I agree; but the Nvidia card itself won’t have improved with age – no matter how much one flogs that horse, it won’t get any better.

No, I want to read and learn. Actually, I love learning computer science. But, I don’t have time due to my work.

Do you mean that Nouveau driver is working fine on GTX 660? As it doesn’t work fine on my device, there is a resolution issue. If it’s working fine, then can you please tell me the right method to install it?

I get it. I sometimes wish time-travel’s been invented, but alas…

Yes, exactly :joy:

If you read my comment again, you should see that I was saying exactly the opposite. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.