Black screen after installing a second distro

Mine is GPT UEFI. Happens so on another System.

On GPT/UEFI it is not an absolute to fail, depending the manufacturer. It may fail for different reasons than MBR systems.

But Manjaro uses GPT (according to the installer), so it’s probably Ubuntu with the MBR, isn’t it?

Now you start building a (different) case!..
First you have to know if your system is booting in UEFI or MBR/BIOS mode.
Then we can talk… :face_with_head_bandage:

It says UEFI OS for both Manjaro systems in the boot menu, for Ubuntu i’ll check it after the installer’s finished.
Very strange bug indeed.

If it is MSDOS then you mixed installations. It’s just not normal.
If it is UEFI have a read on this, which advises on how to treat situations/problems of loosing your boot order

Since my boot menu just says Ubuntu, I think it uses MBR.
And after another install, it’s not going black but says kernel panic. :smiley:
I’m just about to try the method you quoted. Thanks.

Here is how to check it.

Both with booting from the usb drive and the ssd, it says efi.
grub> search.file intel-ucode.img
error: no such device: intel-ucode.img
I’m just going to chroot into the system, and restore grub from there.

Please check the boot entries in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. It is not good to use another grub than the grub provided by Manjaro to boot Manjaro. We use a separate intel-ucode.img which is not known to Ubuntu. Only with grub 2.04 this will be supported by all Distros.

On Manjaro we have: initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img

If you have some like: initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img it won’t boot.

Make sure you have at least this: initrd /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img

I strongly recommend to reinstall grub from Manjaro to maintain all installed distros.

1 Like

Thank you, I get it now.
Chrooting and reinstalling Grub didn’t work unfortunately, so I’m just going to reinstall Manjaro entirely.
Only thing I don’t get is how can another installer mess things up on a different disk. I even set Ubuntu to install its Grub onto its own disk, so it shouldn’t touch anything else. But this topic probably belongs to another forum. :slight_smile:

How exactly did it fail?
Please describe what you have done, so you may not need to re-install.

I followed the instructions for UEFI systems word by word, I made sure that I mount the right partitions. Also needed to mount efivarfs, no problem there. Installed and updated Grub. Aaaaand Ubuntu’s Grub comes up even if I choose Manjaro’s UEFI entry in the boot menu. And kernel panic at the end.

If you have a Manjaro ISO/media installer you can repair your boot order, following the Tutorial I linked in my previous post.
It is worth reading. It is used for such problems with the highest (if not absolute) rate for solution.

It couldn’t find any intel-ucode image. I’ll try that one again.

You used the wrong command I guess

grub> search.file /etc/manjaro-release  root
grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg

@ZakiMate: check your boot entry of the ubuntu-grub by selection and pressing E instead of enter. Then check the line of initrd and see if you have intel-ucode.img only there. If so, exchange it for the kernel image. For Linux414 it would be: initrd /boot/initramfs-4.14-x86_64.img. With CTRL+X you may boot. Then if you’re back in Manjaro, decide either to remove the package intel-ucode or reinstall grub of Manjaro.

It should have been

grub> search.file /intel-ucode.img

if you have separate boot. If not then

grub> search.file /boot/intel-ucode.img

Instead of an error, it just gives me back the command prompt.

Read the tutorial, please, if you want to save yourself from an un-needed re-install