Black screen after fresh Manjaro installation

I would guess that…

Kernel parameter:

• ibt=off (because nvidia doesn’t support it)
  • nvidia.modeset=1 (needed for wayland especially)
1 Like

If it isn’t disabled already, disable Windows Fast Startup from a command prompt with elevated privileges (in Windows):

powercfg /h off

Fast Startup is a hibernation variant in Windows.

When it is enabled, Windows does not actually shut down; but, hibernates instead. This functionality is incompatible with Linux in a multiboot scenario, and must be disabled.

Cheers.

1 Like

@soundofthunder I tried that, but no luck. Same behavior. Whenever I boot to Manjaro I just get a black screen no matter which HDMI port I plug into. :sob:

I also tried booting into the live USB, using manjaro-chroot, and then installing the nvidia drivers using sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300. That process seemed to succeed, but no change in the behavior.

@megavolt I tried this, adding ibt=off nvidia.modset=1 to the GRUB boot options so the line look like:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-6.9-x86_64 root=UUID=<uuid here> rw quiet splash ibt=off nvidia.modeset=1 udev.log_priority=3

No luck though. Same behavior. Screen just goes black.

Do you can still see a mouse cursor when you have a black screen?

Do you see your Login before the screen goes black?

It could maybe the plymouth bug, when you can’t even see login screen.

Option1:

Open /etc/default/grub and remove the word splash & quiet from the Grub command line.

Then save the File and use this command:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

In addition you can also remove plymouth hook from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Then save the File and use this command:
sudo mkinitcpio -P

Option2:

@Kobold to answer your intiial questions: I don’t see a mouse cursor when I see a black screen at all. The screen actually doesn’t just go black, but the monitor says it loses signal and goes into Standby mode. I can’t tell but it might be that it repeatedly gets a signal and then loses it, but it never fully comes out of standby after it goes in.

Now for your suggestions, I tried them in a few different ways:

1st attempt: Option 1 exactly as written

When I followed your steps as writen for Option1, the only change was that the Manjora GRUB menu didn’t load. The monitor still went into standby mode.

2nd attempt: Option 2 exactly as written

When I did this the grub menu was still broken and the monitor still went into standby mode.

3rd attempt:

I reinstalled Manjora from scratch rebuilding the partitions to start from scratch and reinstate the GRUB menu. Then I followed your directions for Option1 & Option 2, but instead of updated the GRUB config in the command line, I edited the GRUB command by hitting “E” at the GRUB menu and adding the commands you described.

I never saw any other behavior then what I had originally: the monitor simply goes into standby mode after I select to boot into Manjora.

Thank you for your consideration of the problem. If you have any more ideas, please let me know. I’m stumped. Thinking I might need to move to a different distro.

Do you have nvidia drivers installed? when you reinstalled did you choose proprietary drivers on the boot screen?

Remove quiet and splash from the list, then you will see where it hangs. By default it will hide the boot log…

Well, then choose a distro which works for you. Nvidia is and was always a problem on linux, especially on rolling releases due the release cycle of the drivers…

I told him that already, but it looks he did something wrong, because he still don’t see the boot checklist and not even see Grub after his changes… what ever he did wrong :man_shrugging:

Not for me and many other’s and AMD has sometimes problem’s too.

Did you installed with proprietary drivers or the free driver’s after reinstall?
You know you can choose between both driver’s when you first load into live boot?

Why you switching your HDMI plug at all? This isn’t automatically change.

Maybe deactivate your iGPU in Bios if you have one.

Btw. we had recently another Nvidia user with a Blackscreen after a new install,
maybe you can find some similarities to your system:

@Kobold I successfully removed the quiet and splash parameters from the boot command. I just did it by editing the boot command from the grub menu. I’m still unable to see where it hangs – if it hangs – because what happens is that I can see the log flashing across the screen but then very quickly it vanishes and the monitor blanks out and then goes into standby. I was trying to find a way to get it to stop before that happens, but haven’t had any success yet.

@megavolt I did end up trying some other distros. openSuse failed completely. I couldn’t even boot into the installation USB. Then I went back to ubuntu. It was a bit better. Interestingly, if I plugged the monitor into the HDMI port of the graphics card, the screen flashed on and then off with different speeds, but I was able to see its log in screen. It just didn’t stay up.

I’m starting to wonder if there’s something about my graphics card that causes all these distros problems. It’s just strange that the card works absolutely fine in Windows. So its not that it is defective.

I noticed on a stack overflow post that a recent Ubuntu release broke the card I have for someone (mine is the GTX 1060 3gb). The advice of one of the answers was to do a manual install before the first reboot: “https://askubuntu.com/questions/1335612/ubuntu-20-04-upgrade-breaks-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060

@Kobold I always chose open source when booting the live USB to install. However, I can only see the live USB disc if I plug the chord into the HDMI of the motherboard.

I haven’t tried this yet and wasn’t aware that I could. It was confusing to me in fact that the system would have two HDMI ports after the card is installed. Maybe I’ll give this a shot.

I wonder if that could be a loose contact? Cable or connection?

If you really forced to switch Display plugs, there is really something strange going on… that somehow your iGPU is be forced.

Since even other Distro’s failed… that shouldn’t be normal at all.

@megavolt I would think that too, but the card works fine if I boot into windows.

Probably try DisplayPort. It should be the preferred Connection on Linux due the open standard compared to HDMI. Linux has limited support for HDMI, so the higher version. Could be also some sort of bug in the kernel…

1 Like

This information may have been useful in the very first post.

@soundofthundder I wasn’t aware of it in the very first post.

Ugh! The problem doesn’t seem to be with the computer or installation or driver at all. By chance, I tried it with a projector (using the same HDMI cable) and it works fine in all the distros. It’s my DELL S2722QC monitor in the end! For some reason, with linux and his graphics card, it is going into standby mode. I don’t have another monitor to try it on unfortunately, but this can I think end the thread here, unless anyone has any experience with monitors responding weirdly.

I thank you all for your attempts to help me. I’m sorry this ended up not being related to the distro.

After discovering that the problem is more on the monitor side, although the monitor only struggles with Linux, I’m going to try this display port suggestion. I’ll report back.

I recommend not shopping for a DP cable based on price alone.

Cheers.