Bios/UEFI changed

Hi. I installed manjaro xcfe latest version several days ago(maybe more than a week ago). It was working good, but I just encounter weird thing: computer was unable to start up, actually screen was black. After several unsuccessful trials to reboot, massage appeard that “safe boot failed”. I realized that safe boot was enabled in bios. I desabled it and then faced other error that you can see in picture below. It appeared that disk mode was changed and I changed it back to AHCI. I did not touch anything in bios myself. Could anyone please explain how system managed to change bios? What happened?!

IMG_20210921_020302|690x388

Are you asking what might have triggered the changes in the BIOS?

Is your original issue resolved, however? Can you now boot into Manjaro normally again?

I don’t think Linux ever touches the BIOS/UEFI… Maybe it’s an issue with your BIOS/UEFI itself, which might be fixed if there is an update?

Could be the goblins from Redmond, WA.

Yes, I am interested what could possible trigger such changes? After I desabled safe boot and changed disk mode I was able to boot manjaro.

Thanks for suggestions.

By safe boot - do you mean Secure Boot?

I am sure that Windows - like Linux is capable of updating the updating the systems firmware - albeit on LInux this is never done automagically but only on demand.

It could be a simple reset of the firmware to defaults - which on many systems include - to conform to Microsoft requirements - enabling Secure Boot. Some modern systems defaults the device controller to a special setup which moved system files to a faster section of the disk.

While it is technically possible and I suspect Windows is capable of - on select systems - to modify firmware settings.

If this happens it is usually in connection with a Windows update which requires restart.

Although I am not sure if it will work - you could password protect the firmware - place a sticker on the back of the computer with the passphrase - after all this is only to verify if Windows is trying to change your settings.