Better integration for encryption

Well now I have a hair up my rear, I will be looking at how Fedora does it since I have a couple of encrypted systems. I just need to figure out what it is they use exactly. It does have a nice little gui coverup screen for the password. I know Ubuntu and OpenSUSE also have it.

Ok, ok I got your point.
I’ll try to explain my feature request a little more:
When trying to decrypt the hard drive on boot up, there’re to possibilities:
1.) The complete system is encrypted -> Grub will ask you for a password of a hard drive, showing its internal id (I guess?)
2.) The /home directory is encrypted -> right after grub you’re asked to enter the password for the /home directory on [insert internal ID again (I guess)] as lonmg as the new kernel integrated boot splash isn’t activated, then there’s no promt asking you (I actually found that one funny, but it’s in an early stage, so I don’t say something against it).

I just tried to ask to make the 2. case more comfortable.
Maybe a nice background showing just a text box in the middle of the screen asking for a password.
And then it would be nice if you had a second chance to enter it, if you made a mistake, but that’s not my focus.
And as I remember correctly, in OpenSUSE is something like this integrated (but it’s a long time ago since I used it last time)

To take your metaphore with the space station: it’s more like: “I have an idea! You should build a space station in orbit around Mars, since others already did so!”

And Linux is not the only one in terms of OS’es. There is Windows and MacOS and even Windows has a better integration.

Now you could say “Oh man a Windows user trying to imulate this OS to Linux!”
But believe me, I love Linux and how it was created.
But I see that others did better. And that “triggers” me very hard. :joy:

And you could also of course say “Well, there is a cli implementation, so what’s the problem?”

Well, the cli is great, but there are users who are afraid to use it.
And when there’s a cryptic promt, they think they broke something (believe me, I experienced that already. :D)

To come back to the other thread (Don’t know if I get blamed for doing that), it bases on the same problem: the Linux devs (even though they made a great job) missed to create a proper interface trhat’s usable by everyone without specific knowledge.

And shouldn’t that be the goal of an Operating system?

But to modify something a little bit “more” under-the-hood, you’re immediately forced to use the cli.
wAnd that’s not what I understand under user-friendly.
I don’t know, maybe the majority sees that different, but then I wonder why everyone uses KDE or GNOME as graphical interface.

And OpenSUSE has Yast, so such a tool seems not to be impossible. :smiley:

You get my point?

If you’d spent the time it took you to write all these posts to go and find out what OpenSUSE used then that would have been productive and provide something to work from.

All the rest of this is philosophical “shouldn’t this be what such-and-such is all about?” Stop the starry-eyed wonderment, roll up your sleeves, and get your hands dirty.

And it looks like it might be part of plymouth. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Plymouth I am pretty sure we have the right packages in the repo and if you follow the directions as to getting the proper hooks it should work. We used to use plymouth on Manjaro however it got removed around three year sago I would say since it was interfering with GDM in the boot process and greatly extending the time to get to a desktop. It was really troublesome with Gnome. I can attest that it works as intended in Fedora.

I think Plymouth is being/has been deprecated, which is why it has been removed from Arch (and Manjaro).

That’s not an option now, but I suspect Fedora will have a new approach.

Research, anyone?

Nope, Fedora uses Plymouth. I don’t know why it was removed from Arch.

Could have sworn I saw it in the Manjaro repos. Anyway looks like Arch moved it to the AUR.

It may not have ever been in Arch - it might have been picked up from the AUR into the Manjaro repos. I’d have to dig through the Arch mailing lists to check.

Believe me, if I had the knowledge to find that out, I would have done that.

And if I had enough knowledge or time to learn the required knoledge to get my hands dirty, I would have done so. But I don’t.

And you can’t expect everyone to have that knowledge.

I mean, I can’t spend my whole free time on learning programming for Linux, even though it might be fun.

As far as I know, Manjaro targets on the average users and not absolute Linux pros.
I mean I use Linux for 3 to 4 years and as it seems, I don’t have enough knowledge to give feedback and tzell you, what could be done better.

I mean on the Manjaro homepage is written: " Professional and user-friendly Linux at its best" and “Enjoy the simplicity”.

But it’s not very user-friendly if you tell a user, who’s just trying to tell you, what could be done better that because he can’t tell how to do it better, it’s useless.

I mean… I have knowledge about things you don’t. And if you give me feedback and tell me what could be better about it of your own free will and I’d tell you that it’s useless because you can’t tell me how to do it better, you’d feel fooled.

And if your target really is the average user, then how can you expect feedback of this group?
The average user doesn’t have the knowledge to fix what they don’t like…

So maybe your target group is a different, but then I think you have to re-think your appearance on the web, since in this case your homepage indicates something wrong.

I don’t expect you to tell me “Yeah, we’ll make it better until tomorrow and know exactly how to do that” I just want to make you think about the things I mention and maybe you can conclude that there’s a right part of what I said and that it could be more user-friendly to change some things (because apparently it’s your goal).

Well, I read that the Manjaro team is working on an own solution for a boot splash and that’s why I also thought that it could be the right time to mention this and that’s why the packages disappeared from Manjaro repos.

The Manjaro team is small, do this in their spare time, holding down full time jobs, and attempting to also have a life. Same goes for a vast majority of the Manjaro community.

Nobody has enough time, welcome to the club.

Want to make a valid suggestion, work out how it would hang together conceptually at a minimum, include that in the feature request, instead of just expecting others to do this for you. Others that are equally as time poor as yourself.

Or start a thread asking if anyone else in the community would like to assist you in working something like this out. Manjaro’s community is its best feature IMO.

The Arch Wiki provides all the resource needed to acquire most of the knowledge you will need.

Manjaro is an Arch based rolling distro, providing easy installation and sane defaults, it is up to the user to tailor their system to their exact liking.

Manjaro is “simplicity to install” on most hardware, but takes knowledge to maintain, unfortunately that is not included in the marketing blurb.

Reading and learning is part and parcel of running an Arch based system. You don’t have to be an expert, but you should understand how your individual system hangs together technically at a bare minimum.

Manjaro is only possible because of upstream Arch, which maintains and packages nearly all of Manjaro’s repo packages. Manjaro attempts to obfuscate some of the underlying complexity, but this is still and Arch based distro.