Best way to check for OS issues

xfce
os

Hi all,

So yesterday i was trying to get a package installed and it was returning a 404 in the package manager gui.
I thought of trying to do it via the terminal to see if i had the same issues.
So quick google on how to use pacman from the terminal and i found this command “sudo pacman -Syyu” i forgot to read the last line where it said it updated your system and thought it would just do a local db rebuild.

Any ways, update runs i say yes a few times to let the updates through and then my screen drops back to the uefi splash screen (rog logo) and stays there. I was hoping it was just a graphics driver update and the upgrade would complete in the background and it would come back. So i left it for 30-45min nothing had changed so i had to do a hard power.

On reboot i ended up in the Bios and manually selecting my boot device just got me a grub command line.

I rebooted again to see if i could get into a live usb i had and work some thing out. But on reboot it booted as normal and i ended up at my login screen.
I was then able to install my package from the gui no issues.

Sorry for the story just wanted to give context to get the most complete answer.
Where would i go to be sure this maybe bad upgrade didn’t cause any issues and what steps can i take to prepare an OS refresh and data recovery if i am running encrypted drives? Say i can’t get back in next time.
In windows for example i can use SFC or DSIM to check system files and use a bootable windows iso to run a repair. I would like to have similar recovery options for Manjaro :slight_smile:

Thanking you in advance for your time.
*excuse formatting i typed it on mobile.

First, yours was probably not synced with mirror or bad mirror. We do not mess with mirrors without syncing, and we do not sync without updating because partial upgrades.

[as in if all you wanted was a resync it would be pacman -Syy … but that is Not Supported]

So.

The kill-all for your problem and many others is

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyuu

Now. If you want to be super safe you should perform this outside of X in TTY:
Ctrl+Alt+F2
(Get back to normal desktop session with CTRL+Alt+F1)

Though, I have never actually needed to do it this way, save 1 specific systemd update, which we were all warned about at the time.

I just run sudo pacman -Syyu in my terminal application. And I pay attention. If something is wrong (rarely if ever) … then DO NOT REBOOT … again drop to TTY or similar if possible.

Want to see what pacman has done?
less /var/logs/pacman.log

Errors in general ? A good one is:
journalctl -b -p 3

For Manjaro you can use a live USB/DVD to boot the machine (say your installation media…) and then ‘chroot’ into your system. From there you have access to the normal information gathering, delete/overwrite and update options you might need. This thread is good place to start: Can't login - black screen & chroot guide

A second suggestion is to make regular backups of your system, particularly before updates. Then if something goes wrong that you cannot fix it is simply a matter of restoring the backup. Timeshift and Clonezilla are two commonish options but a forum search will reveal others. :smile:

Thank you very much i will check it out!