Benchmarks, system checkers

I’m fully aware of

unless there’s an obvious need (or e.g. the package is unique) the answer will probably be “no”, and especially so if it’s already in the AUR.

but still, I’d like to ask whether we can have a few system check / benchmark tools in the repo?

I’m thinking of mprime and linpack and maybe the good old unixbench, all of which are AUR packages.
I would be willing to maintain them, they are not updated very often.

No feedback? :frowning:

If you’re willing to maintain them, try to PM philm. Maybe you get server/hosting support.

From my perspective, I don’t really see why these need to be in the repos… Is there a use-case where these are needed but AUR access is unavailable?

Well it’s not like these apps need (as in necessity) to be in the repos, it’s just that the repos, to my knowledge, do not have any proven stress testers.

For example, I found linpack largely superior to Memtest+ when it comes to detecting memory failure.

No, there isn’t - as for the vast majority of AUR packages.
If you don’t have internet access, neither AUR nor the repos will be available.
Or did I just misunderstand your question?

Actually there is a huge difference between the trust level of yaourt and system repos, especially when it comes down to productive systems. I also think those packages target a professional audience.
Therefore I think it`s a good reason to get them into the repos.

Does anyone by chance have some online space left for me to create a small repo (< 500 MB)?

I’ve seen people put repos on GitHub… that should work.

Thanks, I found a HowTo but the procedure is a bit cumbersome as it needs tagged releases. Ideally I’d want something that can be done with a simple rsync command.

If I have undestand well the question; making a Manjaro packages binary repo on github

tagged releases are not needed

I’ll have a look at it and report back.

Given your tenacity I’m just about to relent and put these in the repos.

I’m currently looking at making mprime package for both x86_64 and i686.

You shouldn’t make your decision based upon my tenacity :wink:
Anyway, thank you. I really think that those packages can be useful for many users.

linpack, mprime, and unixbench are all now in unstable and x32-unstable.