[Beginner] Manjaro w/ KDE Plasma on Testing branch always needs 2 boot cycles

I THINK I got it solved with a post, which I will reference right here: (EDIT: It seems like I can’t embed links here, but it was in one of the thread @Takakage referenced)

After checking the link you’ve provided I installed that maxi helper, which told me that I’d need to update my grub.cfg file, which is weird, because I’ve done sudo update-grub and all the good stuff a hundred times already.

As per the link I’ve attached I started with a fresh Grub installation. What makes me think now that my booting issues might have vanished, is the fact that the “Unknown device type” errors I referenced earlier among others are now gone when updating grub. I’m quite confident the issues might have been solved now, but I’ll let you know as soon as I tried another reboot.

That’d be HUGE if it was gone! :star: Thank you guys for all your help even if it’s not resolved yet! What a lovely community :heart:

So :sweat_smile:

My previous attempt, sadly, didn’t do the trick. Starting with a fresh Grub just had me rebooting twice.

BUT:

I was able to finally solve the issue!! :partying_face:

On the 2nd reboot I thought it might be a good idea to have a look into the BIOS settings again. Like I tried earlier already, I changed the OS configuration of my MSI motherboard from [UEFI] to [CSM] (Note: I’m still not sure which of those 2 you’d need for Manjaro).

I had a look at the BBS boot priority settings and then I noticed that there’re 2 entries for Manjaro:

The first one was just called “Manjaro” and the 2nd one was something called like “UEFI OS”. Both were enabled, so I disabled the UEFI one et voilá, the double boot cycle issue is gone!!!

As I don’t have any idea about why there were 2 seperate entries and also why I couldn’t see this when my configuration was UEFI and not CSM, it would be huge if somebody with more knowledge could elaborate on this if possible.

For me personally as a beginner I’m just glad about the outcome, that the issue is solved. Still I would like to understand why and how.

Cheers to you guys!

1 Like

With CSM enabled the system picks Legacy boot when booting a Manjaro ISO and you could possibly run into issues if you were to have multiboot using grub - as the two modes are incompatible.

To ensure EFI boot disable CSM.

1 Like

So it seems to me:

• There is one BIOS-Installation and one UEFI installation intermixed
  • Then there is one grub.cfg in the old install and another in the new one …
  • And there is one grub in EFI-partition and another somewhere else

I think you will keep having fun in the future with this mess.

:footprints:

1 Like

This seems pretty plausible, as I rebooted today the old issues with double boot arose again :sweat_smile: Is there anything you’d recommend me to do, besides reinstalling Manjaro completely and making sure that all traces of previous installations are wiped? Or you’d say this is the only/cleanest way?

1 Like

I’m not particularly savy when it comes to tinkering under the hood myself, so I would advise getting a Stable Branch ISO if you want a relatively stable environment and take it from there. Just my two cents… :wink:

I would:
try to create a working install that works under UEFI (because this will be easy to maintain in the future)

• use GPT
  • install in UEFI-mode
  • use btrfs :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: as filesystem
  • complete the install on one device
  • enable timeshift or snapper (for possible rollbacks)
  • add other devices to the main volume (btrfs device ad)
  • convert to RAID :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  • do backups :innocent: (at least to another device)

You can find good Information about Btrfs in the wiki

Make Backups:

:footprints:

1 Like