[Beginner] Installed Manjaro Gnome on USB via virtual Machine but can't boot into it

Hello, my situation is this. I used a virtual machine to boot up Manjaro gnome, and install the OS onto my external SSD. But whenever I plug it into my mac and windows computer it is not giving me the option to boot into it ( the SSD). I am quite the noob and inexperienced to this, so I’m unsure if I’m doing something wrong or what I’m trying to do is impossible. I’m open to all suggestions and if you need more information I’ll gladly provide it.

In order to boot into a different os you need to get into your bios and change boot priority

I do no know what you are trying to do with the vm but if changing boot priority in your bios does not work try this

You should install the iso onto a bootable usb or cd then go though the installation process and select to install on your ssd

instuctions make bootable usb with Etcher or rufus
you will be flashing the iso which you can install on the os website

Access bios boot to usb

Install to to your ssd (Warning be carful not to install to the wrong ssd or hdd)

Change boot priority to the drive with the os of your choice

Okay, I followed your instructions and when I booted it up on my Windows 10 computer I received the error message:
System doesn't have any USB boot option. Please select other boot option in Boot manager Menu

Have you set the boot priority to be the ssd?
after you installed the the iso to the ssd or did you not get that far?

I believe so. Here is my process, just in case I did anything wrong or misinterpreted your instructions

1.Downloaded and Burned the ISO to my USB stick
2.Booted up the installer from the USB and installed Manjaro to my SSD
3.Rebooted my computer and selected to boot up with SSD

When I go through the bios and try to select the SSD, there is no option to use the SSD only windows boot manager. When I reboot my computer while holding down the windows key, it allows me to select the SSD but I receive the same error from earlier.

I’m not sure what the problem is i would recommend watching a tutorial to see if you missed any step

I’ll try that again but I don’t think that is the case. I have followed many tutorials 2-3x just to make sure I didn’t misclick anything or do something stupid. But thanks for the help.

Sorry that i was unable to solve the problem i will look into and maybe tomorrow i will have a solution for you.

1 Like

From what I found you may need to set secure boot in the bios to other os.

you also could try flashing the iso with a different flasher I heard Rufus can mess up so I would recommend BalenaEtcher if you used Rufus

you could also try installing on an old hardrive to see if the ssd is the problem

Do I need to turn secure boot on because I currently have it off, also I’ve been using BalenaEtcher so far which is good.

Well Secure boot should be set to other os according to this video but i assume off will do the same thing
video example at around 5:18

You may also have a setting in your bios that says something like uefi or legacy that you may need to change
perhaps this may help you https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/464886/manjaro-ssd-not-recognized-in-bios-after-installation

You can also try disconnecting your harddrive with windows on it and use those cables in case that is the problem

The last thing i can think of is that you formatted the drive wrong
Using Rufus will give you more control over the process I myself am no expert on how to properly format the drive

You can also try installing a different linux distro as that sometimes works

Sadly as I am not super tech-savyy I do not believe I can help you further without being there in person perhaps opening a new thread with accurate info of your problem would be more helpful then I