Beeping Sounds When Entering Desktop

deepin

Ever since last night’s update (I’m using the deepin DE) my laptop would boot into the desktop environment but I would hear a couple of beeps that would range from 1-3 are random each time. I noticed the power indicator is missing from the system tray and when I plug in the charger, it would show up again. What could be the issue? My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad and is only 6 months old.
EDIT: I now noticed the keyboard layout icon is missing too and I can’t add new layouts anymore.

UPDATE: I decided to re-install the packages but that didn’t help. However, I disabled the option to login automatically and that seems to have fixed the problem although I hope this is actually fixed within the next update.

Boot from a live disk to eliminate hardware failure as a possibility.

I tried it and everything worked as should. I noticed that if I log out/log back in or restart the DE through the system monitor, both the power indicator and layout indicator return back to the tray.

rtfm-sgs from your Motherboard :wink:

It would make sense considering I messed around with the BIOS a while back but I don’t think that’s it considering those beeps would probably be heard while the laptop boots. The beeps I hear occur only once the DE loads up and I tested a live disk and the beeps were not present there. I believe the lack of the power module being loaded causes this.

Sounds in /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo

Hear if it is inside :slight_smile: power-plug.oga
It is not the welcome melody from Deepin, isnt it? :smiley:

Yeah it’s not the welcome melody they’re hard loud beeps which sound like something’s wrong.

Just give me your address, I’ll come by and look in your manuals and google for you. :smiley: :slight_smile:
Or open the PC and cut the rope from speaker. :rofl:

:grin::grin::grin:

very loud, spill your coffee loud beeps? disable pcspeakr/bios beep

sudo rmmod pcspkr
sudo echo "blacklist pcspkr" > /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf

Thanks!

Like I thought, you wanted the symptom gone but you didn’t want to know the cause.

Yeah the beeping was too bothersome but I’m very certain it’s due to the update to the deepin-session-ui package which caused it to not load the system tray modules properly on startup