bauh (formerly known as fpakman) - A GUI for Flatpak and Snap management

Since we already have some confusion around the package managers here. I would suggest using something clear and different from the other package managers.

With that in mind, I would make the following suggestions:

• oct0pi
  • pmac
  • pacnan
2 Likes

Just call it AppManager or appman for god's sake!

1 Like

I kind of like SuperPacman :stuck_out_tongue:

The name is fine. I like fpakman.

1 Like

Yeah, WonderPacman

Why not call it what it is:
Flatpak and Snap Manager

That could be the description or title bar name, but you don't want to have that as the program name if you want to run it from the terminal :slight_smile:

...then call it fsm
Flatpak and Snap Manager (fsm)

edited my answer because this is development here.

1 Like

fapman maybe... :innocent:

"flapman" might be better?

Guys,

Version 0.5.1 is out in AUR and PyPi. It fixes the flatpak dependency problem and has decent performance improvements. For the complete changelog -> https://github.com/vinifmor/fpakman/releases/tag/0.5.1

Since most users want the panel as the default behavior, now the fpakman command only opens the panel. To open the tray you must specify the param or env variable (--tray=1). For the AUR installation, it also creates a fpakman-tray command to make this call easier.

Cheers

1 Like

@vfm90 how about Curator for the app name? Couldn't find any other Linux app of such name.

3 Likes

flanap maybe

FAS-Manager

Flatpak, Appimage, and Span manager - since Appimages will be added too. It's simple and to the point :stuck_out_tongue:

You can also use FASM tho also means this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASM

2 Likes

@maxspice, it's a good name. I will think about it. I've been thinking in a more generic name like this one since the app will get more packaging extensions.

3 Likes

Guys,

I would like to thank you all for the name suggestions, but I've opted for a different one. I wanted something short, simple and generic, so I chose bauh. "Baú" is a portuguese word for "chest" (the place where you can find your stored things and the pirates put their gold). I've just created a new repository for it, but I will be keeping the old one (but not maintaining it). Its first release is the same as the last of fpakman (0.5.1). It's already available via AUR.

bauh

Links below:

(p.s: fpakman and flapman will always be in my heart)

10 Likes

awesome choice!

2 Likes

Nice choice.
But why not just chest or appchest, if the former conflicts with some other Linux package.
This way would be meaningful for the majority of people :slight_smile:

I like using non-english words as application names, but why add the h at the end? Not a lot of words end with an H preceded by a vowel. It seems like something's missing. It actually reminds me of the German word "Bauhaus" being cut in two :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @skerit

I also like your suggestion!
Now I'm thinking about, bau is a better choice. A complete word and also... shorter
Cheers

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark