bauh (formerly known as fpakman) - A GUI for Flatpak and Snap management

Guys,

Version 0.5.1 is out in AUR and PyPi. It fixes the flatpak dependency problem and has decent performance improvements. For the complete changelog -> https://github.com/vinifmor/fpakman/releases/tag/0.5.1

Since most users want the panel as the default behavior, now the fpakman command only opens the panel. To open the tray you must specify the param or env variable (--tray=1). For the AUR installation, it also creates a fpakman-tray command to make this call easier.

Cheers

2 Likes

@vfm90 how about Curator for the app name? Couldn't find any other Linux app of such name.

3 Likes

flanap maybe

FAS-Manager

Flatpak, Appimage, and Span manager - since Appimages will be added too. It's simple and to the point :stuck_out_tongue:

You can also use FASM tho also means this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASM

2 Likes

@maxspice, it's a good name. I will think about it. I've been thinking in a more generic name like this one since the app will get more packaging extensions.

3 Likes

Guys,

I would like to thank you all for the name suggestions, but I've opted for a different one. I wanted something short, simple and generic, so I chose bauh. "Baú" is a portuguese word for "chest" (the place where you can find your stored things and the pirates put their gold). I've just created a new repository for it, but I will be keeping the old one (but not maintaining it). Its first release is the same as the last of fpakman (0.5.1). It's already available via AUR.

bauh

Links below:

(p.s: fpakman and flapman will always be in my heart)

12 Likes

awesome choice!

2 Likes

Nice choice.
But why not just chest or appchest, if the former conflicts with some other Linux package.
This way would be meaningful for the majority of people :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like using non-english words as application names, but why add the h at the end? Not a lot of words end with an H preceded by a vowel. It seems like something's missing. It actually reminds me of the German word "Bauhaus" being cut in two :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @skerit

I also like your suggestion!
Now I'm thinking about, bau is a better choice. A complete word and also... shorter
Cheers

1 Like

No one is forced - you will not find yourself - after an update - having extra packages installed.

Yes - on official ISOs - but please differentiate between have the option available vs. preinstalled {flatpak,snap,appimage} applications.

The flatpak, snap distribution methods is available and activated on official ISO - KDE, Xfce and Gnome

On Community Editions?

This will be up to the maintainer.

I have nothing against the flatpak, snap and appimage distribution methods.

On the contrary - I see great use for them - on the other hand I have no need.

I maintain the LXDE, LXQT and Openbox - I have no plans defaulting them to flatpak and snap.

I will leave that to the end user - however - I do see reason in doing it on the official editions. They aim at users with less confidense in setting up support for those techs.

As a note on above: Those with confidense in setting up their systems can easily remove the support.

5 Likes

Hello guys,

I'm currently finishing bauh 0.6 that will come up in a few weeks with nice changes. In the meantime, I've just published a minor release (0.5.2) that fixes a theme / style problem found in some desktop environments (like Gnome) and also a resizing one that I've seen in some other Linux distros. It's already available via AUR and PyPi.

bauh_0_5_2

Changelog: https://github.com/vinifmor/bauh/releases/tag/0.5.2

Any problems with this release, let me know.

Cheers

4 Likes

Not sure if this was mentioned or not.
But this really needs an accurate download meter. With my crappy internet and the size of the flatpak platforms, it just sits there forever and I have no idea how long it's going to take.

Oh, I forgot. It's very resize happy. When you select or deselect updates or Apps or whatever. It's constantly resizing itself which bothers me. I resized it to a size I wanted but selecting any of those makes it shrink to a tiny little window (Monitor is 2560x1440).

But, it's looking nice overall. Really nice work so far. :grin:

1 Like

Hi @Sinister, thank you for your feedback. Could you write this comments as GitHub issues ? I will see what I can do about them in the next releases.

2 Likes

Sure, I'll try and get that done today.

2 Likes

bauh 0.6 is out. This release has a big code refactoring, an initially aimed to split the project into independent modules and support two more packaging types ( that I baptized as gems). Although it is already possible to work with the modules separately, I have decided to postpone this split for a while ( I want to think the best approach to do this without harming the current users). In relation to the additional gems, only one is stable ( the other should be incorporated in a few weeks ). Overall, this release is faster, has several bug fixes, minor UI changes and supports a new packaging type.

I will highlight the main changes below ( complete changelog at https://github.com/vinifmor/bauh/releases/tag/0.6.0)

Performance

• Snaps reading takes 95% less time
  • Flatpak reading takes 45% less time

Graphical Interface

• The picture below summarize some changes:

( Refresh and Update Selected buttons now have labels. Installed button just shows up after a search )

bauh with a different style selected by the user (XFCE):

Launch button:

The progress bar is smaller and a "substatus" can be displayed above it:

AUR support

This first extra gem allows the user to work with AUR packages and it is not enabled by default. It is possible to search, install, uninstall, retrieve history, downgrade and launch packages. It automatically retrieves the installed packages icons and commands from the disk ( those with no icons and commands will not be treated as applications which means the "Launch" button will not be available for them ).

A picture from some installed AUR applications ( KDE breeze theme )

This gem is quite fast and do some optimizations:

• if you have aria2 installed on your machine, it will download the packages sources using threads (pacman settings are not modified). This feature can
    reduce the installation time of some packages and can be disabled through the environment variable BAUH_DOWNLOAD_MULTITHREAD=0 (or the parameter --download-mthread=0)

• If the user have not defined MAKEFLAGS and COMPRESSXZ in /etc/makepkg.conf it will generate a copy of it in ~/.makepkg.conf ( if it does not exist ) with these settings
    optimized (MAKEFLAGS="-j$(nproc)" and COMPRESSXZ=(xz -c -z - --threads=0). This feature can be disabled through the environment variable BAUH_ARCH_OPTIMIZE=0 ( for more information, have a look at the project README.md file)

To enable this gem, use new the "extra actions" button located at the right low corner:

app_actions

gem_sel

This gem also handle some common cases associated with AUR packages installation:

show_button_1

show_button_2

Some of the tested packages:

google-chrome
spotify
vivaldi
xdman
optimus-manager-qt
visual-studio-code-bin
insomnia
git-cola
lutris-git
protontricks
protonfixes
snes9x-git
gamemode
libunity
ffmpeg-compat-57
python-vdf
bauh
fpakman

I am finishing a Snap version of the tool that should be available until the end of this week or in the next to facilitate its installation in other distros.

If you have any trouble with it, report them via Github (please). I created a Twitter profile for those wanting to stay on top of the project news (@bauh4linux)

This release is available in AUR (bauh and bauh-staging) and PyPi (bauh==0.6.0.1)

Cheers

16 Likes

Guys,

I have found some bugs with 0.6.0, but already fixed them. The major problem was related to suggestions, so probably just a few people have noticed. Anyway, 0.6.1 is already available in AUR and PyPi. Changelog: https://github.com/vinifmor/bauh/releases/tag/0.6.1

I have also created an anonymous form for people wanting to improve the tool ( just 5 questions ):

Cheers

3 Likes

Guys,

I have just published another bauh minor release ( 0.6.2 ) with some small improvements and fixing some bugs. The main bug was related to the tray mode not showing update notifications.

Changelog: https://github.com/vinifmor/bauh/releases/tag/0.6.2

Cheers

2 Likes

People,

bauh 0.7 is ready and with AppImage support:

gem_selector_2

This is not a release with huge changes, but there are small improvements and important fixes ( mainly related to Flatpak 1.5.X). I will be listing only the visual changes and explaining how the AppImage support works ( full changelog at https://github.com/vinifmor/bauh/releases/tag/0.7.0):

• New button to show the application screenshots

• Category filter

AppImage support

• It includes all the basic actions + history, downgrading and launching. The only packages necessary on your system are: sqlite3 and wget ( if aria2 is available it will be used instead )
  • The applications base is provided by the AppImageHub portal ( https://appimage.github.io/ ). They don't provide all the necessary data that bauh would need to work, so I created a bot that consolidates all the needed information into 2 SQLite database files: apps.db ( main base with all applications data and their newest versions ) and releases.db ( base with the releases history ). Later, it compresses these 2 files into a single one called dbs.tar.gz ( less than 250 Kb) and publishes it to the bauh-files repository. This process happens every 1 hour and half.
  • The generated database contains around 670 applications for now.
  • When you initialize bauh, it downloads this compressed file and makes the queries locally. It is quite fast ( got surprised with SQLite performance )
  • The bauh-files repository contains files consumed by bauh during runtime. For more information about the files it contains, have a look at the project README file: https://github.com/vinifmor/bauh-files
  • Feel free to suggest new AppImage applications through GitHub. I'm planning to support the database from https://www.appimagehub.com in the future.
  • It seems AppImageLauncher messes up with bauh AppImages installation. So it is advisable to uninstall it and reboot your machine before installing new AppImages with bauh. Overall, bauh just downloads the file, extracts its content ( to retrieve some data ) and creates a shortcut in the system menu ( desktop entry ). It does not use any daemon. You can find more information about where the installed files are stored in bauh's README file.

AUR packages categories

• today the closest available information provided by AUR Api would be keywords that some maintainers publish with their packages. But I don't believe they are specific enough to be treated as categories. So I have categorized some packages manually and published to the file https://github.com/vinifmor/bauh-files/blob/master/aur/categories.txt ( which is downloaded during runtime by bauh ). If you want to contribute to AUR categorization, send an email to bauh4linux@gmail.com informing the package names and possible categories in the following format: package=category1,category2,... Then I will update the file and every one will automatically have access to the most updated category catalog without the need of upgrading bauh.

Now, I am just notifying minor releases via Twitter ( @bauh4linux ). New AppImages aggregated to the base will be notified there as well.

And that is it... This release is already available in AUR ( bauh and bauh-staging ) and PyPi ( I'm still struggling to distribute bauh as a Flatpak and Snap)

Those willing to improve the tool can fill out this anonymous form:

bauh_0_7_about

Cheers

7 Likes

It's not detecting some AUR devel package updates correctly. Neither pamac nor yay detect any updates currently.

What's wrong:

• appimageeditor-git /nicotine-plus-git: numbers > letters
  • jdsp4linux-git: r25 > r8
  • lib32-gamemode: 1.4-1 in multilib; 1.4-3 in AUR )

Everything except virtualbox-ext-oracle were installed via makepkg.

mullvad-vpn and virtualbox-ext-oracle are added to IgnorePkg in /etc/pacman.conf.

EDIT: Ignore nicotine-plus-git, I had the wrong tags. Also, now I can't reproduce this as it won't show updates now.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark