Battery Status freezes

Hello there,
I’m running Manjaro Gnome with 5.10.93-1 Kernel on a Acer Spin 5. When I close my Laptop and reopen it after a few hours the battery status freezes and shows a ridiculous duration time between 70 an 80 hours. To get it running again I have to disconnect the battery with the reset button on the bottom side of the case.

How can I fix this without press this reset button?

Found something similar:

Thanks! But that will not fix my problem…

O have (apparently) the same problem in my laptop. I wrote the following script to workaround the problem when that happens:

#!/bin/bash
## Workaround to force updating the battery charge status
## when it stops updating and gets stuck.
#
## Created: don't remember
## Last modified: 2020-04-02
## By: Luís Coimbra
#
## Depends on: acpi

## Declarations
OUTPUT=$(acpi) # stuck output

## Unlock the battery status and show the output
cat /sys/class/power_supply/AC/online
acpi -V
echo ""
echo "Waiting..."
while [ "$OUTPUT" == "$(acpi)" ]; do
        sleep 5
done
acpi -i

If it is the same problem, maybe it will help. I got the hint to workaround the problem in some forum, but I forgot which one.

Thank you, I will try it, when this problem appears again.

Hi there,
today I’ve tried your solution and this is what i got:

cat: /sys/class/power_supply/AC/online: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Battery 0: Charging, 92%, 00:54:57 until charged
Battery 0: design capacity 3220 mAh, last full capacity 1580 mAh = 49%
Battery 1: Discharging, 0%, rate information unavailable
Battery 2: Discharging, 0%, rate information unavailable
Adapter 0: on-line
Thermal 0: ok, 30.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 126.0 degrees C
Thermal 1: ok, 43.0 degrees C
Thermal 1: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 99.0 degrees C
Thermal 1: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 98.0 degrees C
Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 2: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 3: x86_pkg_temp no state information available
Cooling 4: intel_powerclamp no state information available
Cooling 5: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 6: pch_skylake no state information available

Waiting...

So I think it doesn’t work for me.
Any other idea?

Additional information:
The battery status freeze isn’t the only error I get. When this happens the keyboard and the touchpad don’t work.

Well, you should have mentioned that earlier. This is now looking like an hardware problem. I’d try another OS and see if it still happens.

Sorry, I realized that not until I went to school with my laptop yesterday. At home I use it with an external keyboard and mouse which work when the battery status freezed.

Sometimes this happens too when I was running windows 10 but not that often.

That’s not a good sign. Maybe something’s loose inside the laptop or you have some component failing. If you’re still under warranty, I’d take it back.

EDIT: also check if there’s a new BIOS for you to update.

Unfortunately I’m out of warranty. What could be loose inside the laptop that causes such an issue?

My Bios is the latest version.

Some connection? Keyboard and track pad usually have a USB protocol. You could try to open it. Give it a clean up and check cables. Or you could take it to a professional and explain what’s going on.

With many detours I’ve found out that the issue is caused by my internal sd card reader or the sd card itself. I try to find out if it’s a hardware issue.

One of the possible reasons imho could be that I took a daily timeshift backup on this sd card. So I will put the sd card in and stop the timeshift backup and observe if the issue is persistant.

1 Like

Here I am again. It was neither the sd card nor the sd card reader. I try to find out if something is loose inside.