Libreoffice desktop shortcuts giving a warning after update

Since the last two updates of Manjaro, i see this unacceptable behavior from Manjaro, to mark LibeOffice icons as “Insecure” in an “insecure” location asking me to give number of confirmations of the confirmations that i actually really, really need to open LibreOffice, or any other LibreOffice program. Unacceptable behavior. How to PERMANENTLY remove ALL and ANY marks like padlocks and arrows on the icons - do not want to see this, and to make Manjaro open LibreOffice WITHOUT any questions and confirmations.

Please note i do not care what they mean, do not tell me this is whatever feature, i do not care about that. its in my way, its and obstruction, and that’s all i are about. Just provide me with a proper working and easy to follow steps how to remove this unacceptable behavior PERMANENTLY.

Thank you.

First you could of simply said you have already been informed what the overlays on the icons mean and you still want to hide them. Second why not put all you shortcuts into a folder and keep that folder open on it’s own desktop instead of cluttering up the desktop?

There was a change in thunar 4.17.4 due to a security issue. Have a read through How to mass-trust .desktop files via shell? / Desktop / Xfce Forums to see how the files are trusted now.

Edit: As for existing .desktop files, they are only trusted if they exist in one of the XDG_DATA_DIRS directories. You can symlink files from those directories onto the desktop and they will also be trusted. Desktop file "app.desktop" is in an insecure location / Desktop / Xfce Forums.

You are INSISTING in the WRONG PLACE, and as a SECURITY ENGENEER you should know better.

Moderator edit: Fixed links

1 Like

I suggest:

1. Delete unacceptable desktop icons

2. Right click on desktop and select Create Launcher

3. Type ‘libre’ in Name field and select libreoffice application from suggested list

1. Click Create button to create desktop launcher

OR

Libreoffice launchers in Whisker menu can be dragged to an Xfce panel instead of desktop

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

@nikgnomic dragging from whisker menu seem to be exactly the problem, because it copies the file

Summary
#
# This file is part of the LibreOffice project.
#
# This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
# License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
# file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.
#
# This file incorporates work covered by the following license notice:
#
#   Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
#   contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed
#   with this work for additional information regarding copyright
#   ownership. The ASF licenses this file to you under the Apache
#   License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file
#   except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of
#   the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 .
#
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Terminal=false
Icon=libreoffice-writer
Type=Application
Categories=Office;WordProcessor;X-Red-Hat-Base;
Exec=libreoffice --writer %U
MimeType=application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text;application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-template;application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-web;application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-master;application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-master-template;application/vnd.sun.xml.writer;application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.template;application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.global;application/msword;application/vnd.ms-word;application/x-doc;application/x-hwp;application/rtf;text/rtf;application/vnd.wordperfect;application/wordperfect;application/vnd.lotus-wordpro;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document;application/vnd.ms-word.document.macroEnabled.12;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.template;application/vnd.ms-word.template.macroEnabled.12;application/vnd.ms-works;application/vnd.stardivision.writer-global;application/x-extension-txt;application/x-t602;text/plain;application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-flat-xml;application/x-fictionbook+xml;application/macwriteii;application/x-aportisdoc;application/prs.plucker;application/vnd.palm;application/clarisworks;application/x-sony-bbeb;application/x-abiword;application/x-iwork-pages-sffpages;application/vnd.apple.pages;application/x-mswrite;application/x-starwriter;
Name=LibreOffice Writer
GenericName=Word Processor
GenericName[en]=Word Processor
Comment=Create and edit text and graphics in letters, reports, documents and Web pages.
Comment[en]=Create and edit text and graphics in letters, reports, documents and Web pages.
StartupNotify=true
X-GIO-NoFuse=true
Keywords=Text;Letter;Fax;Document;OpenDocument Text;Microsoft Word;Microsoft Works;Lotus WordPro;OpenOffice Writer;CV;odt;doc;docx;rtf;
InitialPreference=5
StartupWMClass=libreoffice-writer
X-KDE-Protocols=file,http,ftp,webdav,webdavs

Actions=NewDocument;
[Desktop Action NewDocument]
Name=New Document
Name[en]=New Document
Icon=document-new
Exec=libreoffice --writer

Creating with rightclick works, and i marked it as a solution. It creates

Summary
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=LibreOffice Writer
Comment=Create and edit text and graphics in letters, reports, documents and Web pages.
Exec=libreoffice --writer %U
Icon=libreoffice-writer
Path=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true

Although from what i read in the xfce forum has probably nothing to do with the contents of the desktop file and has to do with checksums instead. I gues when we create a shortcut a new it also sets the checksum and in case of dragging from whisker it is only copying the whisker .desktop to a new location.

You and OP have both been here long enough to know that posting comments in all-capitals is perceived as rude or aggressive

Always Be Civil
Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

If You See a Problem, Flag It
When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it.

1 Like

it was not like this before Manjaro updates to kernel 6.5, everything was great. this issue raised when upgrade to linux kernel 6.5, as part of the regular updates i get

if does fix my issue is not a solution
i will mark as solution that works for me

in case you failed to make the difference, i manage firewalls, routers and switches, and things like spanning tree protocol, routing protocols and other things like trunking ports, access ports, vlans, not misbehaving Linuxes, i never said linux admin, you picking on me shows clear hostile behavior, i am reporting you for this

tried the advice works great. marked as solution because it works

What I mean is that you have been around Linux and Manjaro long enough to know that security issues are taken seriously - but changes to a user’s homefolder when syncing new packages is a no-go.

So demanding that you should not be bothered with your custom desktop content is barking - not only up the wrong tree - you are also on the wrong forest.

If you think that is hostile - :man_facepalming: - you are the one shouting out demands … in an immer inpolite manner … one would think you had a thicker skin than me :man_facepalming: at your behavior

3 Likes

Most items in Whisker menu can be dragged to the Desktop to copy the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications/

But LibreOffice uses symlinks in /usr/share/applications/ folder to .desktop files in /usr/lib/libreoffice/share/xdg/

$ ls -l /usr/share/applications/ | grep libreoffice-writer
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    45 Sep 14 21:01 libreoffice-writer.desktop -> /usr/lib/libreoffice/share/xdg/writer.desktop

Dragging a LibreOffice launcher from Whisker menu to Desktop creates a symlink emblem-symbolic-link instead of a file

ls -l ~/Desktop/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 nik nik 45 Sep 25 13:52 libreoffice-writer.desktop -> /usr/lib/libreoffice/share/xdg/writer.desktop

The read-only emblem emblem-readonly indicates that the symlinked file is owned by root

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libreoffice/share/xdg/writer.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2890 Sep 14 21:01 /usr/lib/libreoffice/share/xdg/writer.desktop
2 Likes

good to know, i will keep this in mind. Thank you.

you may have the good idea, but served badly still deliver bad results.

I can understand the intend and wish for security, this is not my issue here
This and being based on Arch Linux are the reasons i have chosen Manjaro to begin with.
but it is not an unreasonable wish to open LibreOffice without a pile of confirmations of the confirmation. Anyway. Forget about it. I will explore other distributions until this issue is fixed and return to Manjaro after it is fixed. installing new Distro is one time effort, answering a pile of confirmations of the confirmations every time i need Impress, Calc or Writer is honestly annoyng

Good idea served badly still gives bad results.

Noticing issue and asking for a solution that works for me, does not mean i order you around or i force demands. basically it is clarification of what i would like to happen. Barking on the wrong tree - you may be right here i will not argue, in the wrong forest? I disagree. This is Manjaro’s forest, i am Manjaro user and i have issues with manjaro i am definitely in the correct forest.

At least you can post a decent apology for picking on me, you picked on me first, without me provoking you, so it is the only ethical and moral thing to do. Until a decent apology is served, i will maintain my report against you and i will see it to a resolution. Yes i have already reported you and flagged the rule i believe is violated.

YOu got exactly what you asked for. Now grow up and grow a pair.

2 Likes

Post #2 marked as solution because the solution suggested in Xfce forum post #22 also works to create LibreOffice launchers

cp /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-writer.desktop $HOME/Desktop

Topic closed to prevent further irrelevant discussion

2 Likes