Basic KDE Question

What I am saying the message says this but it doesn’t do this:

Instead use Dolphin normally and you will be prompted for elevated privileges when performing file operations that require them.

I use Root Actions from AUR or KDE Store. It adds menu to do admin actions.

Some of its actions may be broken, disable/remove them, and you’re good to go.

1 Like

Ah, well. Then it’s kind of obvious, isn’t it:

DON’T

And anyway, I think any changes you’d make will be overwritten when upgrading.

Edit:

So don’t try, it’s a bad idea in general. Rather ask for a solution to a problem you might have. Because this is sounding more and more like an XY Problem, to me.

If you’re going to go to the terminal to type sudo dolphin, you may as well just copy the file from the terminal and save time.

2 Likes

User wants to do X.
There is no Y

In this case:
X is “I want to copy a file to a system directory”
Y is “why can’t I perform root operations in Dolphin”

Just sudo cp my_file /opt/destination/my_file

I get what you are saying but I am stuck on this message:

Instead use Dolphin normally and you will be prompted for elevated privileges when performing file operations that require them.

Try Ctrl+C

As far as I recall, KDE got rid of that for security reasons. (Not sure why the disclaimer message remains.) To do what you want now requires an addon service, which @omano posted above.

1 Like

This was what I answered. Not why it doesn’t work, or how to do it.

So yes, I’d say it is. You were just wondering. You got the answer.

And you’ve been repeatedly told why it’s doing that, and why you shouldn’t do it. So no, even if I did know more, I won’t tell, because it’s a very bad idea. If you’ve got to ask, you shouldn’t be doing it.

2 Likes

Thanks for scolding me. That helps me allot.

That’s usually a Y.
We don’t know what is X, only that it seemingly requires Y… unless it actually doesn’t.

If I remembered correctly, TimeShift was able to open the Dolphin with root privileges and browse any snapshot.

I guess it uses:

$ pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY dolphin

There is a new plugin for Dolphin: Open Dolphin as root - KDE Store

i dont know about dolphin but try thunar by giving it sudo privilege in the terminal

sudo thunar

There’s a Dolphin plugin called Open as Root. I used to use this to copy files to xampp’s htdocs. Makes it a lot easier

Classic XY Problem: You’re asking about your attempted solution rather than your actual problem .

This has lead to wasted time and energy, both on your part and on the part of those providing help. I’ve unmarked your “solution”.

You might also be interested in trying Krusader, it has a lot of options and on first glance might appear overwhelming but, it has a built-in option to start in root called Start Root Mode Krusader (found in tools)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.