Bash prompt vanished after upgrading conda

After running conda upgrade --all in the XFCE terminal, the user and directory portion of the bash terminal prompt disappeared. It just has the (base) part now; if I then deactivate conda, there is nothing there at all but the bare cursor.

Rebooting didn’t help. ~/.bashrc isn’t showing as modified. I’m poking around in ~/miniconda3/shell/condabin but don’t know what I’m looking at. Is there something there or elsewhere I can check to find any interference?

1 Like

I don’t have experience with conda, but looked into the prompt business and this bug was reported 5 days ago, conda 22.9.0 breaks bash command prompt #11885. Maybe :person_shrugging: :slight_smile:

If you scroll down, there is a solution

And can you also try running conda init bash and then restarting your shell and see if that fixes it?

Yes, this fixes it! :slight_smile: I now have the correct prompt:

A side note: When looking into a “bug”, I’ll first look at the package in the repository and get the URL. Most of the time, it either points to a Home webpage or a GIT page. Once you get to git (lab or hub), checkout Issues.

1 Like

Yup, that the issue I had. And that fix worked. Thanks for directing me to the solution.

Great.

Could you please mark the post as the solution. I think if you click the 3-dots to expand the menu at the bottom of the post, there’ll be the text Solution, click that :slight_smile:

Marking a post as the solution is used by the forum software. A icon will be displayed next to Topics with solutions and users can search the forum for only Topics with solutions.

Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.