The backlight control keys Fn + Left/Right cursor keys are not detected any more on my laptop after several updates. These would usually control backlight (aka brightness) of the laptop screen.
- The machine is a Acer Aspire V3-571G
- This apparently started not working around kernel update 4.14.29-1-MANJARO
- I tried reinstalling older kernels to no avail
- the keyboard combination is totally not recognised e.g. by xev (while for example the volume up/down and other ‘multimedia’ keys are
- Switching on/off the “Handle display brightness keys” in the XFCE power manager plugin dosen’t seem to change anything
- I am using the open source drivers (although the machine also has an nVidia GF117M together with the intel graphics card)
- This works on the very same machine if I boot from Manjaro Live which has a 4.14.11-3-MANJARO kernel and the keys are detected by xev in there as:
MappingNotify event, serial 70, synthetic NO, window 0x0, request MappingKeyboard, first_keycode 8, count 248 RRNotify event, serial 71, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001, subtype XRROutputPropertyChangeNotifyEvent output LVDS1, property Backlight, timestamp 761889, state NewValue RRNotify event, serial 73, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001, subtype XRROutputPropertyChangeNotifyEvent output LVDS1, property Backlight, timestamp 763334, state NewValue
xbacklight correctly works and I am able to change the brightness through that.
Now the real question is, what in updating might have changed things compared to the initial setup (and the live distro)? i.e. what would enable the keys to at least be detected and is not at the moment?