Firefox developer edition 108-0b9 (64 bit) problems after update

This morning I updated firefox-developer-edition and its codecs packages, and it started behaving in a strange manner (the window resizing with frayed edges like the screen is broken and then jumping back at its place).
I tried running it from terminal and this is the output:

firefox-developer-edition                                    127 ✘ 
[GFX1-]: glxtest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection.
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
[2022-12-14T09:52:10Z ERROR glean_core::metrics::ping] Invalid reason code startup for ping background-update
[fluent] Missing message in locale en-US: 
[fluent] Couldn't find a message: 
[dom/l10n] Errors during l10n mutation frame.
    ~  [GFX1-]: glxtest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection.
[fluent] Missing message in locale en-US: refresh-profile-instead
[fluent] Couldn't find a message: refresh-profile-instead
[dom/l10n] Could not complete initial document translation.
[2022-12-14T10:04:21Z ERROR glean_core::metrics::ping] Invalid reason code startup for ping background-update
[2022-12-14T10:05:17Z ERROR viaduct::backend::ffi] Missing HTTP status

hostnamectl                                                    
 Static hostname: ec77-hp
       Icon name: computer-laptop
         Chassis: laptop 💻
      Machine ID: 06dda19109894f42961c6c01899f98c9
         Boot ID: 869ed5cd17cb428c94551fd29896cb0f
Operating System: Manjaro Linux                   
          Kernel: Linux 6.0.11-1-MANJARO
    Architecture: x86-64
 Hardware Vendor: HP
  Hardware Model: HP 250 G6 Notebook PC
Firmware Version: F.52

I am including system info to give some context.

Note that this is a very recent install and it has worked correctly until the update.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Elisabetta

hi
firefox 108 regular version is also messed . you can view only one tab at a time. the location of tools or top section is a mess . It is almost unusable. I can attach a picture but since I did not want to take unneccessary space on the server for a picture , I did not put. (I can if needed)
Is there a way to go back older version. do I have to remove install a specific version . will it work.

Hi @ElisabettaC77,

How did you do this? I notices you are on the Stable branch and we’re on version 108.0b9:

And it’s working absolutely flawlessly. Which lead to my question.

Edit:

See Firefox 108 update is a mess - #15 by linux-aarhus

package manager was showing updates for me, they were all firefox (I do have standard and dev edition) and the codecs for dev edition packages. Since I installed Manjaro I encountered NO issues, so I launched the upgrades and then the issue occurred.

to troubleshoot, I launched it from the command line (not as root) and found those issues.

I tried refreshing the browser, tried to start it in troubleshooting mode, and disabled the hardware acceleration as suggested by another topic on the forum. Still, it continues to have the same issue.

I also tried from the command line to update again to see if maybe the package manager was missing something but it was all ok.

that said, I do not know if this has to do with the firefox gnome theme as you seem to point out in response to @salimp reply. It seems more relevant to VA-API to me and apparently, it has nothing to do with the theme, but maybe I am wrong since I am not experienced having started using manjaro not so long ago. I am using a custom theme for firefox that I found in the repo of available themes called Colorful Spectrum and have Grammarly and bitwarden extensions active, but even in the troubleshot mode that disables all themes/extensions, the problem occurs.

Is it advisable to downgrade the packages reverting them to the previous version that was working the right way or do I risk something in term of security?

@Mirdarthos my issue has nothing to do with the firefox theme.

@salimp mentioned his issue with the theme, because it clearly is something that is “on top” of the weird errors I am getting on firefox, so for them it makes things more complicated.

I use a custom firefox theme (colorful spectrum) and I am not on the gnome standard theme.

Moreover I have bitwarden and Grammarly extensions installed.

And during normal use of the browser the window randomly gets cut on the left showing a strange distortion (like I have a broken screen with two firefox instances open one on top of the other) then suddenly goes back to normal.

I noticed the behavior is most likely to occur when the mouse is not moving and is pointing to white space on the page.

I get the errors I mentioned in my first post that are:

firefox-developer-edition                                    127 ✘ 
[GFX1-]: glxtest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection.
[2022-12-14T09:52:10Z ERROR glean_core::metrics::ping] Invalid reason code startup for ping background-update
    ~  [GFX1-]: glxtest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection.
[fluent] Missing message in locale en-US: refresh-profile-instead
[fluent] Couldn't find a message: refresh-profile-instead
[dom/l10n] Could not complete initial document translation.
[2022-12-14T10:04:21Z ERROR glean_core::metrics::ping] Invalid reason code startup for ping background-update

And my system info is:

hostnamectl                                                    
 Static hostname: ec77-hp
       Icon name: computer-laptop
         Chassis: laptop 💻
      Machine ID: 06dda19109894f42961c6c01899f98c9
         Boot ID: 869ed5cd17cb428c94551fd29896cb0f
Operating System: Manjaro Linux                   
          Kernel: Linux 6.0.11-1-MANJARO
    Architecture: x86-64
 Hardware Vendor: HP
  Hardware Model: HP 250 G6 Notebook PC
Firmware Version: F.52

I wear glasses and I must admit that the problem is really affecting my ability to read the screen.

Is downgrading a good option or should I just wait for the browser to be updated again?

Is this a bug, or a behavior due to my system configuration? Is there something I can do to solve the issue?

(to be noted that even if I started using Manjaro not so long ago, I am a Linux user for about 12 years, so I am comfortable trying to solve the issue if someone explains me what I should look into)

Thanks for the help!