Avoid require system update of 1GB for reinstallation of grub from live CD (4 mon. old)

Guide on https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader requires efibootmgr and dosfstools for Grub reinstallation. Which in turn prompts updation of all rest of the system worth 1 GB download since live cd first fetches download mirrors which provide latest version of packages. Can it be avoided?
Full details: I installed Windows 10 after Manjaro XFCE and in process wiped EFI partition. My primary OS is Windows and I need Manjaro occasionally for certain tasks. Therefore I’m hunting any method (not necessarily elegant like grub) which lets me boot Manjaro when I need.

How about MBR? That will require you to activate legacy boot in your bios, if you want to add it permanently to EFI you can try and do it with bcdedit from Windows 10, try looking at this thread:

• Find where the packages are core, extra, community, multilib
~ >>> sudo pacman -Ss dosfstools                                                                                  [1]
core/dosfstools 4.1-1 [installed]
    DOS filesystem utilities
~ >>> sudo pacman -Ss efibootmgr                                                                                     
core/efibootmgr 15-1
    Tool to modify UEFI Firmware Boot Manager Variables
  • Navigate to a mirror of your choice from here: repo.manjaro.org, click one of the links and navigate to the repository folder, here core, then right click on the package and copy the link location.
  • Open a terminal and write sudo pacman -U and paste the link.

Is it possible to load efibootmgr this way?

efibootmgr is already installed if you are booted in uefi.
There’s nothing to load.
Nothing to upgrade.
Nothing to download.

(moved from #technical-issues-and-assistance:updating to #newbies as this isn’t an issue with the update process)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.