[Available on stable] Adding AMD+NVIDIA hybrid support to mhwd

Thanks to u/Eroldin in r/ManjaroLinux for helping me test this since I don't own an AMD GPU.

This just adds two new configs for AMD+NVIDIA setups for NVIDIA 435xx and 440xx. Adding support for a setup like this will only become more important as AMD gains more market share in the laptop market.

Testing instructions:

1. Make sure you do not have any custom xorg config files (not by mhwd) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
  2. Download the mhwd-db package
  3. Install the package sudo pacman -U mhwd-db-0.6.3-20-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
  4. Open the mhwd GUI
  5. Uninstall any other nvidia drivers (video-linux is fine)
  6. Install the video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-xxxxx-prime of your choice
  7. Reboot
  8. (Assuming that you booted successfully, otherwise go to step 9) Try glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer" && prime-run glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
  9. Tell me what happened

Commit in question that can be cherrypicked/merged: https://gitlab.com/TotallyNotElite/mhwd-db-tne/-/commit/f31bbd4aa0baf46414186b104e1436f850220c32

10 Likes

Hi! thanks for working on this! Im relatively new to linux, however diving in head first. Working on getting my Linux certs as we speak so im somewhat competent.

I have a Asus Tuf 505D with Ryzen 7 & Nvidia RTX 2060, and have been trying to find a solution to getting this setup working smoothly. Currently using the intel-nvidia-hybrid driver, however it doesn't work for fan control or overclock. I also cant run the RTX for more then an hour gaming before it gets hot and starts throttling. Every time ive tried to enable cool bits it breaks my xorg and boots to black screen.
I will gladly help test this driver and have already bookmarked this thread. going to attempt the install now and report back.

Booted successfully! Here's the output of step 8:
lxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer" && prime-run glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer":

OpenGL renderer string: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.35.0, 5.4.28-1-MANJARO, LLVM 9.0.1)
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce RTX 2060/PCIe/SSE2

Note: When I went to uninstall the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime driver it did not show in the mhwd GUI. I had to uninstall it in CLI.

Are there any other command outputs you'd like to see?
In the meantime im going to run sensors-detect and see how that goes.

Great to see that! Where do you apply or whatever for Linux certifications?

This won't help with this. This is exactly identical to the intel config. You're looking for the patches (1,2) included in Linux version 5.6. Modern ASUS laptops don't support fan control directly, you have to use throttle_thermal_policy. Go install kernel 5.6 using the manjaro settings manager and give it a shot! It should default to the correct setting. Please do note that kernel 5.6 does not yet have all kernel modules (like virtualbox). Please don't hesitate to shoot me a message if you're having issues.

I'm starting with Introduction to Linux from Linux Foundation.
Definitely want to keep virtual box. Need to boot other os but my laptop is linux only, so need that to do it.

Definitely want to keep virtual box. Need to boot other os but my laptop is linux only, so need that to do it.

You can always have two kernels of course, and boot to for example linux54 when you need virtualbox.

Ahh, ok so I can try the throttle _thermal_policy. I will look into how to do it. Thank you!

So i just installed and am running kernel 5.6. How do I use throttle_thermal_policy?

It should be set to "performance" mode by default. You can always change it using the sysfs entries for asus-wmi or asus-nb-wmi I don't remember.

thanks!

on another note I cross posted this thread in another discussion regarding AMD-Nvidia Hybrid drivers, and seems someone else has gotten it to work. His setup is slightly different then mine as well.

Thanks! You're my hero. The GPU driver has always been a problem that makes me unable to fully enjoy Linux. Now I can use Manjaro without any worries.

Has there been any news of adding this update to the official repo?

1 Like

@philm

Worked for me! Thank you, this (maybe) concludes a lot of tinkering to get things set up! Output from Step 8:

OpenGL renderer string: AMD RENOIR (DRM 3.36.0, 5.7.0-1-MANJARO, LLVM 10.0.0)
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce RTX 2060 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2

I am running on an Asus Zephyrus G14 laptop (GA401IV-BR9N6).

2 Likes

well i added it to the ported version
but it only uses dkms

2 Likes

This works really well on my laptop!
How can I install these drivers on Arch Linux?

Hey mate,

It worked like a charm on my daughter's laptop (ASUS TUF FX505 Ryzen/Nvidia). Any idea if it's going to be merged to the mainstream mhwd-db?

Thanks a lot!

This is up to @philm and the rest of the Manjaro team. I wish I had an account on their GitLab instance, so I could just make pull requests instead of making a forum post for everything…

Hey @philm,

It would be great if you guys could look into merging @TotallyNotElite's changes to mhwd-db.

Thanks!

PM me and we will set it up. @TotallyNotElite

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by