Autostart should support delayed start

Hi @siavoshkc,

Depending on how you do the autostart, this is already possible.

This is a typical example of an XY problem. Instead of trying to find it your perceived solution, rather explain your problem, and get proper help.

1 Like

It does - simply edit the .desktop file and supply the correct arguments.

2 Likes

I searched first and solutions were not satisfactory. The option must be in Autostart application and it should only apply when auto-starting. Not when you click on its icon.

User should be able to set delay in Autostart by GUI for each application.

To be clear my problem is that I cannot set delay in Settings>Autostart.

[edit]
Actually it would be nicer to give flexibility on preconditions. For example wait until network is connected or that other app is started.

This is all already possible.

I have several services that run on startup with conditions.

Thing is, I think you’re thinking, and looking for the way Windows does it. But Linux != Windows . It never was and never will be.

Linux, while user-friendly, requires a more hands-on approach to things. Therefore, what you consider satisfactory might not even be possible in the way it was done on Windows, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

Once again, this isn’t Windows. It never was and never will be. So it might be best to adapt what you think is satisfactory, according to you.

This might be of benefit to you as well:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Autostarting

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43001223/how-to-ensure-that-there-is-a-delay-before-a-service-is-started-in-systemd

1 Like

Windows is not LInux.

Linux is very user friendly - it is just very picky whom is considered a friend.

2 Likes

KDE Plasma can let you auto start any application or script after login or during login or during logout:

And you can configure the options and arguments of your started application however you want

I am sorry that this forum treats people as dumb beginners. I am a professional linux developer.
ANd what does it have to do with Windows?
Your first link does not provide anything useful. Second is irrelevant as it speaks about systemd services. I am not autostarting apps using systemd.

Guess you misunderstood the problem.

From your description, you want to start an application after a specific time after login ? Right ?

Your post is not giving enough information of what you want to accomplish. Please add more explanation via a real example.

1 Like

You want us to know that you know your way around

• You know how to alter the Exec line to delay the application.
  • You know how to create a systemd service to suit your purpose.
  • You know that systemd is not only handling system services but has a user scope as well.

So why would you create a topic like this?

Perhaps the following topics can bring to your attention other ways than a .desktop launcher in ~/.config/autostart which can be used to execute async tasks on login.

You shouldn’t bother too much with the title - it is the content and the approach which may be enlightening

1 Like

Please, help me understand how I should have known that?

You complained about a “feature” you deemed missing. Like a newcomer.

I never said anything about you being dumb. I did, however, expect you to be a newcomer, since you complained about something missing according to you. Like newcomers usually do.

Sounded like you were complaining about something not being as “simple” as it was on windows.

I’ll shutup now.

:zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Are you aware that this is mainly a Desktop Environment problem, specially since you said Settings>Autostart looks mainly a problem to KDE and can’t be solved or fixed by any Manjaro Developer.

And since you a Professional Linux Developer, you know that its possible to gain this goal with command in a simple .sh script? This doesn’t look professional to me…

Anyways on the otherside, i don’t mind if KDE decided to give us delaying application start per GUI and it would give new Linux Users a better user experience… but that doesnt mean, that the user experience is bad right now.

1 Like

Professional Linux developers aren’t using this approach when problem-solving. Well, apart from Linus Torvalds, but I take it you aren’t working on the newest kernel RC?

You can delay any app by using a script as you’ve proposed yourself, instead of trying to edit its default arguments and behaviour. You don’t need systemd for that.

#!/bin/bash
sleep xx && yourapp

save as app.sh and autostart that instead of the actual app. You cannot complain about this, and certainly not to Manajaro specifically. If you’re talking about KDE’s Autostart, it has a useful help document you can access from settings → help:/kcontrol/autostart/index.html#kcm_autostart

If you’re not happy with it, complain about it to KDE devs here - https://bugs.kde.org/

See how much they care :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I doubt he’ll take this approach.

He’ll simply code it himself.

1 Like

So why would you create a topic like this?

To note the functionality is missing from Autostart. By Autostart I mean Settings>Autostart.

Because I noted that Autostart is missing the delay option. Did not ask how to delay autostart.

I tried to emphasize that this feature should be included in Autostart to make it usable.

Actually I believe Windows does not have this functionality either.

When I am using Manjaro I expect a little support from its community about usability issues. So what is the benefit of having distros? I believe that the issue must be raised by Manjaro community not by one person as his personal opinion.

By the way I am developing apps on Linux. Worked on Node and Qt apps mostly.

@moderators I believe this topic is going nowhere, or something of the sort. I think it should be closed and/or hidden.

2 Likes

You already know that a desktop environment is developed by the respective upstream community.

Manjaro or Arch or others simply provide those environments.

Manjaro does not provide any enhancements or bugfixes.

So you are barking up the wrong tree as such inquires should be directed upstream and not as a statement in the forum.

2 Likes

I agree. This forum is not the place for unproductive rants from people who don’t even (care to) understand how things work.

2 Likes