Automatically closing any topic after a certain amount of time

I guess is reasonable to close any topic after about 6 or 8 months, there are General discussions from 2016 still open

and making a topic for asking to open them when needed

Wasn’t that the case in the past, that they were auto-closed after a certain amount of time?
I remember having seen things like “this topic will close in X months” or similar.

It is, but not for all categories

Any thoughs @moderators ?

So things like this can be avoided

Were is the proper place to post then?

Make a new topic in the appropriate category or if is really relevant ask to a moderator to re-open the topic

Here’s another 2 yo resurrection today.

I find zombie threads really frustrating. I haven’t seen that many here, but on other forums I frequent, I wind up opening something that looks interesting and see that someone has made a post to a thread from 5 or 10 or even 15 years previously. :frowning:

I guess it depends a lot on the type of thread. A technical thread on a support forum on a rolling distribution stuff changes so rapidly that 2 years is a long time. Stuff becomes quickly outdated and a new thread is most always the better route to take.

I mean if the post is only of a very general nature in a gossip thread who really cares, but technical stuff needs to remain current. The 2 year old “me too” is so redundant its beyond silly.