Automatic migration from nvidia to nvidia-390xx

Congratulation from TuxnVape team for the work, the workaround about the js52 conflict is fully functional.
Is it not possible to give a replace package method for those have nvidia to nvidia-390x transition ?

[Stable Update] 2018-05-07 - Kernels, Mesa, Glibc, PHP, Nvidia, Plasma5, Firefox

Why? If the nvidia driver doesn’t work for you, please install the right driver for you. We might release a new ISO, which provides both drivers and MHWD will do the magic for you. When some driver gets the legacy status it is OK to see if the new driver works or not. What is the output of mhwd on your end?

I can’t test it, personally I have no Fermi architecture (GeForce GTX 970). If the driver is replaced correctly when the driver comes legacy and there is no manuel intervention, that’s great and there is no problem :slight_smile:

The reason of the rolling is you’ll be able to NEVER reinstall the distro

Sadly if the system is installed it requires manual intervention :frowning:
Not very cool for non IT’s and none computer interest users. It requires an “expert” to fix this problem for ultra noobs users.

Next mhwd is it capable to auto fix it when a driver comes legacy ?

It already does that. And what problem your computer have at this moment that needs to be fixed?

WRONG, I tested it with a bumblebee, and it updates to 396.X series… requires manual invervention to uninstall nvidia bumblebee and install nvidia-390.XX bumblebee

muahahahahahahaha … When did a package installed by itself just because you where thinking about it? Seriously?

It’s simple, just detecting the hardware id and switching to the correct nvidia driver… not funny at all

I see you are insisting. Bravo.
User X, user Y and user Z have the same GPU model. Y wants to use the nouveau driver (free driver) on his/her system because that is what wants to use. User Y wants to use the latest Nvidia Driver because prefers to have the latest thing installed. User Z prefers stability so it will use the lagacy driver. Tell me how MHWD will know that ?
Please, enlighten me!

If you prefer to Auto Install … it will do just that, as it did previously.

I think you dont understand it. The point is that you have to install something first manually. So, then you have very clear auto update path - if you have installed nouveau, then updater just updates it. If you have new and supported nvidia gpu, then updater updates to newest 396.xxx driver version. But if you have old and unsupported gpu and have installed nvidia drivers, then update to legacy drivers 390.xxx. All the other paths are easily covered too - only nvidia driver works with mobile gpu, and nouveau is ■■■■ in general, so nvidia driver for desktop gpus, too, unless you want to change it yourself. The hardest part is to get all hardware ids of supported and unsupported nvidia gpus, grouped by driver version. After that it is like 5 minutes job.

I have a GPU that can use all of the 3 drivers mentioned. In what case is not my intervention necessary?
And guys, this is a linux forum, please don’t straw man.

that require to have the list all PCI ID videos cards for that ,
and added to mwhd and this do not tells that this will always work in the future for 390.x series and Fermi , any Mesa , OpenGL , Vulkan or bumblebee or prisme update

That’s right and if a non IT user see there is a black screen after update. It just says: Manjaro is unstable and ■■■■■■■■ and return to Windows

That’s ok because the Windows users who’s computers started rebooting by itself after updating nvidia switched over to Manjaro.

I(ve solved many issues by our discord channel, I’m the fondator and the respinner of Manjaro TuxnVape version (Baba Orhum) www.tuxnvape.fr.

It’s hard to have the trust of many users about Linux and harder with a lots of linux fixed desktop release users bashing Manjaro and desktop rolling release. If a driver can be switch more easily it’s just a better point for Manjaro

A driver should never be “switched” automatically. This sort of thing will cause many more issues than it will solve.

Linux is not Windows.

This will happen from time to time on a rolling release distro, particularly with nvidia drivers.

People that have absolutely no interest in how their system works should not use a rolling release distro, instead a version release distro like Mint may be more appropriate.

Ironically, since Microborg has moved to a W10 rolling release model they are having all sorts of update issues also.

[Stable Update] 2018-05-07 - Kernels, Mesa, Glibc, PHP, Nvidia, Plasma5, Firefox

This is hard for Artificial Intelligence but fairly easy for Human Intelligence.
Until now, I never had any impression than Manjaro claims that it is a NO USER INTERVENTION distribution.
For the record, I have a similar setup and the auto flag for mhwd non-free installation did not install 390xx but plain video-nvidia.
I followed the advice given in the Announcemente Topic. THIS is trivial for Manjaro/Archlinux distros.
Manual intervention is needed from time to time. That’s life! :grin:

Normally it should install 390xx if supported. What is the output of mhwd on your end?

On my end it runs correct:

$ sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
> Skipping already installed config 'video-nvidia' for device: 0000:1c:00.0 (0300:10de:0fc6) Display controller nVidia Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX 650]

Right now it seems to see it OK.

$ mhwd
> 0000:02:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1244) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
    video-nvidia-390xx            2018.05.04               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-340xx            2018.05.04               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-304xx            2018.05.04               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

But I just upgraded mhwd-nvidia-1:396.24-1-any