Auto-mute when no Application is playing sounds?

Hi

My laptop has always made a slight, high frequency hissing noise when unmuted (even if there is no sound being played). I tried in the old forum and nothing would solve it, I tried sending it to the manufacturer and they “didn’t hear anything” and sent it back. Ah, I guess it’s my fault for having good hearing.

Anyway, I’d like to ask my fellow script-writers in the forum if it would be possible to auto-mute the audio when no Application is playing sounds, and auto-unmute as soon as a sound is played.

This would be cool and would allow me to use my laptop normally without worrying about muting the audio every time I finish a video/song/whatever to avoid the hissing.

Thanks in advance!

Please run the following command both when snakes are hissing and audio is being played:

cat /proc/asound/card*/pcm*/sub*/status

and report back on both, please?

:snake: :grin:

When muted:

closed
closed
closed
closed
closed
closed
closed

When a sound is playing and the hissing sounds at the same time:

closed
state: RUNNING
owner_pid   : 1417
trigger_time: 690.939176191
tstamp      : 691.994259205
delay       : 54172
avail       : 41872
avail_max   : 41872
-----
hw_ptr      : 50688
appl_ptr    : 104816
closed
closed
closed
closed
closed

Unfortunately (or fortunately, actually) today the hissing stops after a few seconds of no sounds and everything is closed again. However, this is usually not the case. I will try again when I hear hissing without sounds playing and report back.

1 Like