Authorize newly connected devices (usb) with password

Hi all,

I would like to authorize newly connected devices (usb for example) to be authorized with my password before it will be mounted to my system.
I remember ubuntu did this back in 2011, but Manjaro just hooks it up when I plug it in.

I found usbguard, but for me it just blocks or allows preconfigured ubs’s (not prompting for a password)

does somebody understand what I mean and can help me out? I believe it should be an easy setting.

xfce is using gvfs to mount devices and usually users want their USB devices mounted upon insert - which makes your question an out-of-band - unsual case.

I actually mean this, but then for manjaro:

To do so, follow these steps:

1. Open a terminal(CTRL+ALT+T) and type:
gksu gedit /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla
  1. In line 4, look for ResultActive=yes and change it to:
ResultActive=auth_admin_keep 
  1. Save and Close the file.

Ubuntu will now require a password when mounting all drives (internal and external drives).

Have you looked at usbguard? It’s in the repos and there’s also usbguard-notifier in the AUR.

@Yochanan it seems so:

… maybe it’s a configuration issue? Such functionality would be very useful in offices, factories, libraries etc. where a machine’s USB ports are physically accessible.

This reminds me of when one of my colleauges tried to charge his phone from a nearby workstation … which set off an alarm in the office!