AUR Vorta 0.6.22 fails to start with Python error

Hello,

I have been using the vorta package (which uses borg behind the scenes) for my backups, and they have worked well until a couple days ago when I installed the latest set of Manjaro updates. vorta is based on Python and QT.

When I try to start vorta, it gives the following error:

qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/vorta", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('vorta==0.6.22', 'gui_scripts', 'vorta')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vorta/__main__.py", line 40, in main
    app = VortaApp(sys.argv, single_app=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vorta/application.py", line 47, in __init__
    self.scheduler = VortaScheduler(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vorta/scheduler.py", line 20, in __init__
    super().__init__()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/apscheduler/schedulers/base.py", line 87, in __init__
    self.configure(gconfig, **options)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/apscheduler/schedulers/base.py", line 126, in configure
    self._configure(config)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/apscheduler/schedulers/base.py", line 697, in _configure
    self.timezone = astimezone(config.pop('timezone', None)) or get_localzone()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tzlocal/unix.py", line 165, in get_localzone
    _cache_tz = _get_localzone()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tzlocal/unix.py", line 90, in _get_localzone
    utils.assert_tz_offset(tz)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tzlocal/utils.py", line 38, in assert_tz_offset
    raise ValueError(msg)
ValueError: Timezone offset does not match system offset: 3600 != 28800. Please, check your config files.

What do these errors means and how might I start to troubleshoot this problem? I noticed that vorta seems to have a config file in ~/.local/share/Vorta/settings.db, but when I open it with a text editor it's mostly unreadable. What can I try? /Thanks!

[Edit, not this]

1 Like

@jonathon
AFAIK, it is not related to pip, I had the same problem when I tried Vorta a while ago (way before the pip changes).
@avamk
It's a problem with how Vorta deals with time settings, changing my local time from UTC+1 to UTC allowed it to run (I had the exact same error Timezone offset does not match system offset)
I don't know if it's a bug with vorta or with how time is configured, and I didn't look for a proper solution since I wasn't intending to switch to borg as a backup solution.

3 Likes

Thank you @jonathon and @saedlar93.

Wait, so you had to change the time for the whole system to make vorta work? TBH I'd rather not have to do that. :slight_smile:

The last line of the error mentioned config files, which files might they be?

I don't use vorta, I changed the time just to investigate why it refused to start.
It's a problem with the module tzlocal (provided by python-tzlocal from the community repo)

1 Like

In case anyone is still following this thread, vorta's GUI started with no errors for me today following the latest set of updates (which came out yesterday?).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by