AUR unreachable, prevents upgrade

The pamac GUI shows me 2.4GiB worth of updates, but when I try to install them, I get some nondescript errors.

Repeating the same thing from the command line:

> sudo pamac upgrade                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Vorbereitung...
Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken...
http://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/AUR.db: Fehler 404
Synchronisation der Datenbanken fehlgeschlagen
Warnung: manjaro-hello: Downgrade von Version 0.7.0-6 zu Version 0.7.0-5
Fehler: Vorgang konnte nicht erfolgreich vorbereitet werden: Konnte Datenbank nicht finden

(sorry about the German console … it says it can’t prepare for the update because DB synching fails, and warns me it wants to downgrade Manjaro-hello)

I tried updating the repos separately, and also updated the mirror list, but that changed nothing.
Knowing that using AUR does not always work smoothly, I also deactivated that in the GUI, but it had no effect on the outcome.

So I tried again from the commandline:

sudo pamac upgrade --no-aur                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
[sudo] Passwort für user: 
Vorbereitung...
Fehler: Vorgang konnte nicht erfolgreich vorbereitet werden: Konnte Datenbank nicht finden

What? So despite explicitly stating not to touch anything about AUR, it does try to access the AUR repo, fails and takes that as a reason not to update anything else?
The error message might be misleading, of course, but assuming that it is not, that would indicate something going very wrong.

I have in the past usually excluded AUR from updates and only updated things from there if and when I thought it was necessary for what I need. Knowing that there has been some bad blood because pamac causes a lot more requests to AUR than anything else, I’d guess that someone on the AUR side would be justifiably upset if pamac kept generating requests even when explicitly told not to.

I should also note that all the non-AUR databases are refreshed alright:

> sudo pamac update --force-refresh --no-aur                                                                                                                                                                                                                          1 ✘  5s  
[sudo] Passwort für user: 
Vorbereitung...
Aktualisierung von core.db...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Aktualisierung von extra.db...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Aktualisierung von community.db...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Aktualisierung von multilib.db...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Aktualisierung von core.files...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
Aktualisierung von extra.files...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Aktualisierung von community.files...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Aktualisierung von multilib.files...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
http://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/AUR.files: Fehler 404                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

…but it still insists on checking AUR, no matter what, and then falling over because it could not.

I would like to keep the repo in the config because I have packages installed from there which I do want to update at some point, but there must be a way to properly ignore/deactivate it unless explicitly told otherwise (or failing that: deactivate and enable when needed).

Well, I guess you added it yourself. Manjaro doesn’t have that, plus this file is really not there. Remove it from your pacman.conf.

And I really wonder why you added it? Manjaro has its own mirrored database on a CDN.

These are used by pamac when enabling the AUR:

https://aur.manjaro.org/packages.gz
https://aur.manjaro.org/packages-meta-ext-v1.json.gz
1 Like

Apparently you tried to add the AUR to your pacman.conf. That’s not how it works.

Please see:

Funny thing that … I usually avoid editing configuration files by hand in order to avoid exactly this sort of thing.
However, I found that octopi had the repo list accessible through its GUI, and there was indeed the above address, independently of whether had AUR otherwise activated or not.
I can’t reconstruct how it got there now, but it may have been by me, some time ago, when I was in a hurry… which I agree would have been a bad idea. Either way, after deactivating it in the repo list (Tools → Edit package sources), things are working fine again.

Thanks for the pointer!

It could have been there since before the AUR was mirrored, and the conf not updated. Do you see a file /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew

What else has updated configs? … try running pacdiff (skip on everything until you learn how to use the view/merge/overwrite/etc)

More info at manjaro wiki System_Maintenance Pacnew_and_Pacsave_files

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Could anyone tell me the significance of the .pacnew file?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.