Error mounting HDD: Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock

Hi all,

Today I cannot mount my HDD. The error is:

Failed to mount TOSHIBA EXT

Error mounting /dev/sda1: wrong fs type,  bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing code page or helper program, or other error.

I found an article online suggesting I use fsck /dev/sda1 but the graphic shows a warning that I will cause severe damage to my system.

Another Toshiba HDD mounts just fine on my system. There is still a lot I don’t wish to lose on the HDD that is not mounting. Please can someone help or advise?

Thank you.

PS: I hope I have posted to the correct category.

Hi @newbietolinux,

That sounds like a dodgy “drive”. Best would be to run a S.M.A.R.T. test on it. In a terminal window, run the following:

sudo smartctl --test=short /dev/sda

IIRC it takes about 2 minutes to complete.

If that returns no errors, run the longer one:

sudo smartctl --test=long /dev/sda

IIRC it takes about 2 hours to complete.

The picture clearly suggests that fsck should not be run on a mounted drive. Boot with a Live Installer, for example, and run it from there while the disk/partition is in an unmounted state.

There are likely another methods, but that might be easiest for you if you are unfamiliar with terminal commands.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Is it safe to assume this is a removable disk?

if it is external - which file system is it expected to contain?

• ext4 (Linux)
  • ntfs (Windows)
  • exfat or fat32
  • btrfs (Linux)

What is the output from the command (in text format - please, no image)

lsblk -f

and this

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

and this

inxi -SDxxxc0

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.
  1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already :mag: for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in asking → listening → reading :wink: )

Hi Mirdarthos,

Thank you for your help. I ran the short test and found no errors. I am running the long test and it will take some hours. I will report my results.

Hi linux-aarhus,

Thank you for your help. I think it is a ntfs external hard drive.

[manupc@manupc-2 ~]$ lsblk -a
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
loop0         7:0    0     0B  0 loop 
sda           8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
└─sda1        8:1    0 931.5G  0 part 
nvme0n1     259:0    0 476.9G  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   300M  0 part /boot/efi
└─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0 476.6G  0 part /
[manupc@manupc-2 ~]$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 931.51 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Disk model: External USB 3.0
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x336709ed

manupc@manupc-2 ~]$ inxi -SDxxxc0
System:
  Host: manupc-2 Kernel: 6.1.68-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
    v: 13.2.1 clocksource: tsc Desktop: Xfce v: 4.18.1 tk: Gtk v: 3.24.36
    info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm v: 4.18.0 vt: 7 dm: LightDM v: 1.32.0
    Distro: Manjaro Linux base: Arch Linux
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.38 TiB used: 121.16 GiB (8.6%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Hikvision model: HS-SSD-E3000 512G
    size: 476.94 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 tech: SSD serial: 30054755255
    fw-rev: SN06738 temp: 41.9 C scheme: GPT
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MQ04UBF100 size: 931.51 GiB
    type: USB rev: 2.1 spd: 480 Mb/s lanes: 1 tech: HDD rpm: 5400
    serial: Z8OET32ZT scheme: MBR

Hi soundofthunder,

Thank you for your help. I will remember to use a Live Installer when i try boot again.

If it is a ntfs partition, I don’t think smartctl is the greatest.

So what filesystem do you have on that partition?

lsblk -f

You do that.

If it’s not you main drive, then that part isn’t necessary. I think. But it can’t so any harm either.

Since it’s possibly NTFS, your best bet would be to let Windows deal with it. Scan the disk for problems with Windows. Look at Hiren’s rescue PE for that it you don’t have Windows:

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Just an appendum:

If the drive is formatted as NTFS do not use fsck; instead, consider @Mirdarthos comment; unless:

• Does this drive contain anything you wish to keep?
  • Do you wish to use this drive as extra storage for Manjaro?

If you answer no to the first question, and yes to the second question, it might be easier to create a new GPT partition table, create a partition, and format it as ext4; and then just run fsck as previously described.

Doing so will destroy all data currently on the drive, and prepare it for use as additional storage for manjaro. From that point, it’s only a matter of creating a mount point to the drive and adding the correct entry in the /etc/fstab file. There will be someone here who can guide you, if needed.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

1 Like

Hi bedna,

Thanks for your help.

[manupc@manupc-2 ~]$ lsblk -f
NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL       UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda                                                                               
└─sda1
     ntfs         TOSHIBA EXT 0CB49673B4965ED0                                    
nvme0n1

├─nvme0n1p1
│    vfat   FAT32 NO_LABEL    49F1-3C7C                             299.1M     0% /boot/efi
└─nvme0n1p2
     ext4   1.0               1adc77d4-359c-4d50-8e77-204cccc1b265  323.1G    26% /
[manupc@manupc-2 ~]$

Hi Mirdarthos,

Should i continue with the long smart scan or now stop it and try something else, such as Hirens or the live install method?

Hi soundofthunder,

I’m hoping I can access all of the drive once more without losing anything. It was working okay just the other day.

So, it’s a drive you are already using as storage?

If that’s the case, go with the suggestion from @Mirdarthos.
From an administrative command prompt in Windows (or from the Hiren’s CD mentioned):

chkdsk /f x:

X: represents the drive letter that the disk is seen as.

Cheers.

chkdsk on Windows (since Linux doesn’t have that) or simply blacklist the new kernel driver ntfs3 and use the userspace driver ntfs-3g instead. ntfs3 refuse to mount when it is in a dirty state.

1 Like

Cancel the check:

sudo smartctl -X

And go the other way, rather.

Hi megavolt

I have an other HDD that has no mounting problems. Will blacklisting the new kernel driver affect the working HDD?

I am currently downloading the iso for Hirens. I will have to make a bootable live USB, I think?

You think correctly…