Anything steam crashes if overlay is brought to focus

Honestly, I’m not really sure what the issue is here or how to even begin to present the logs to show what MAY be happening but… If I so much as receive a message in steam, which causes a steam overlay notification, it crashes my game that I am runing through steam.

I have steam installed through pacman, and my games installed through compatibility mode, but no matter what game I use, if I so much as even BREATH on steam overlay, it crashes my game INSTANTLY if i’m in one. Any ideas?

[jorogumo4@leo-x470aorusultragaming ~]$ screenfetch

██████████████████  ████████     jorogumo4@leo-x470aorusultragaming
 ██████████████████  ████████     OS: Manjaro 23.0.0 UltimaThule
 ██████████████████  ████████     Kernel: x86_64 Linux 6.1.38-1-MANJARO
 ██████████████████  ████████     Uptime: 13h 18m
 ████████            ████████     Packages: 1242
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Shell: bash 5.1.16
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Resolution: 7680x1464
 ████████  ████████  ████████     DE: Xfce4
 ████████  ████████  ████████     WM: Xfwm4
 ████████  ████████  ████████     WM Theme: Matcha-sea
 ████████  ████████  ████████     GTK Theme: Matcha-dark-sea [GTK2]
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Icon Theme: Papirus-Maia
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Font: Noto Sans 10
 ████████  ████████  ████████     Disk: 421G / 968G (46%)
                                  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core @ 16x 3.7GHz
                                  GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT (gfx1100, LLVM 15.0.7, DRM 3.49, 6.1.38-1-MANJARO)
                                  RAM: 10118MiB / 48124MiB

Still having this issue, haven’t really been able to find anything online to resolve. Any ideas?

I’ve discovered the overlay works on some games, but not all games. I.E. doesn’t work on CSGO but works on Cosmoteers.

There are numerous reports of this issue online which nearly all seem to be from Steam Client Beta users.

Try switching to Stable (Steam → Settings → Interface → Client Beta Participation).

If that doesn’t help then try disabling the in-game overlay for games that crash.

Start steam from the terminal, check for errors (there are lots) to see why it crashes.

Read thread below & post data about the issue.

Ideas:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Steam/Troubleshooting

That sounds weird, but with a monitor that size it is probably hard to not breathe on it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah seen that as well, but my steam isn’t participating in any beta.

I actually ended up resolving the issue.

I added -novid -nojoy -vulkan to my launch options for CSGO. Specifically -vulkan seemed to have resolved the in-game overlay issue. If I remove that launch option the crashing comes back

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.