Assistance with Manjaro-Architect

Hey guys,
I’ve done translating Manjaro Architect TUI to Hebrew.

Since Hebrew is written from right to left and the script is not well supported in Terminals I’d like some help with setting a clean VM environment for testing and integration (because if I’ll test it on my machine I might get some “assistance” from other installed fonts or some terminal specific customization that I might have).

Can anyone assist?
Thanks!

1 Like

I wish I could help, but I am totally at a loss with most languages except English.

Kudo’s for helping out with the project.

LOL I don’t need help with proofreading, I need setting up a test environment.

I think @Chrysostomus can give some useful advice. I would suggest to set up a VM with Virtualbox, boot a fresh iso and test you translation right in live session.

Do you or @Chrysostomus know if there’s any flag that I can add to enter some special test/dev mode in the ISO?

I don’t know about any special mode in the iso. I just suggested live session as a clean environment without any customisations.

Have these been committed and included in a M-A build? Current M-A version is 0.9.22-1, latest 18.0.4 ISOs should have it.

If Hebrew translations are included just boot an ISO and run sudo manjaro-architect.

If you are planning on doing a lot of test installs you can cut down on network downloads by installing from an installed VM system rather than the ISO. If the packages are up to date they will be sourced from the package cache and not downloaded.

Nope, I didn’t commit yet since I didn’t want to include a file and changes which I didn’t test.

I see where you’re getting with the manjaro-architect.

Is there a way to run the architect live CD, exiting the UI, making some changes and launching the UI again?

I can possibly add the file, make the changes in the language selection menu and launch it again.

I actually have 2 major issues I need to tackle:

1. Hebrew is written from right to left so I need to make sure the letters appear in the right order.
  2. Terminal fonts have minimal support for Hebrew characters.
  3. The entire UI should be mirrored (back should be on the left instead to the right etc.).

I tried talking to the guy who developed Dialog and see what he can offer, there are some planned patches but they are not tested and very fragile.
Debian on the other hand has a full Hebrew, Arabic and Farsi installation system and these languages work flawlessly and I should probably try and decipher how they managed to do it and copy whatever I can.

Thanks!

I have no experience with BASH development but a virtual environment could be done using a chrooted environment.

If I were to work actively on M-A I would fork the official repo. Then I would boot a M-A iso in a virtual machine and clone my own repo.

You can run M-A on your live system. Use a USB or another device as target you will not affect your current system.

Yet again - it might not be the best way.

I initially made the Danish translation - all translations are kept in separate files so - apart from the LTR issue it should be a fairly easy task to translate.

The problem with a chrooted environment is that there’s font and locale inheritance from the host machine unless I’m running the terminal itself from the chrooted environment which is pretty complicated because I need an additional X or vterm (Possible yet has too many pitfalls).

Yeah, I’m aware of how the translation works and it shouldn’t matter in your case because Danish is fully supported on most of the virtual terminals including the special accented characters.

I’ll try to set up a virtual environment and see how it goes, I hoped that there are some builtin working methods for development.

While such environments exist for Python - I am not aware of the same for BASH scripting.

My advice would be to use a normal live iso for development instead of the dedicated m-a iso. They all have m-a on them but the full iso will give you a working desktop to work out of it.

Sure, you can exit and restart m-a. It is ultimately a shell script. Just run sudo manjaro-architect from a terminal or TTY.

When I was making changes to architect I just copied and pasted a couple of scp lines that copied the working files off my development workstation into whatever vm or physical box I was using.

When I was closer to the end of my testing I started building a package on my workstation and then installing it on the vm.

In your case, you could test your initial changes on your development workstation. m-a can be installed and run on any manjaro install. If you are mostly changing the menus initially, you could test that without breaking your system. Just don’t use the “format disk” menus for your testing. :smile:

My best advice would be to just start making changes and see what happens. It is easy to overthink it so sometimes it helps to just get started.

1 Like

Yes.

1. edit a translation file or one of the files in /usr/ lib/manjaro-architect/
  2. run manjaro-architect to see the changes
  3. exit manjaro-architect
  4. repeat steps 1-3 until satisfied
  5. copy the changes to a git repo
1 Like

Makes sense yet I’m thinking about a way of doing it with a VM (launching the ISO directly) or something like that because my system is “dirty” in terms of terminal fonts and locale configuration and it would not reflect the actual system running for the first time from ISO.

I’ll try @dalto’s suggestion, thanks everyone!

Only thing M-A would use in your existing system is its package cache, it has no effect on installations.

And the installed system fonts, which is what op is concerned about.

1 Like

OK
I've added some screenshots to share my pain.

Original terminus font (ter-116n if I'm not mistaken), so far so good:

Things are starting to get a little funky there when I try switching the font to iso08.16 (for some reason Hebrew is not rendered yet, things are getting better at the next screen):

Well that's better if we ignore all the TUI decoration and the fact that the language is completely reversed (I'm still trying to figure out a way to encorporate fribidi somehow):

I'm not sure where I'm going with this.
I also tried LatArCyrHeb-* variants, big difference, it looks awesome now, I'll keep you updated.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by