Assistance Needed With Samba Setup

First post here and new to Manjaro.

I’m running Manjaro Gnome on a Thinkpad and trying to setup Samba so that a Windows 7 machine can use my second drive as a backup location. I’ve installed samba, manjaro-settings-samba, libwbclient, and nautilus-share.

In manjaro-settings, I’ve enabled sharing and made file sharing active. Also unticked the require password entry.

I went to my spare drive (ultrabay) and created a folder called Shared. Right clicked the folder and selected Sharing Options. I checked “Share this Folder”, “Allow others to create and delete files” and “Guest access”. Folder permissions shows that owner, group and others can create and delete files. This folders path is /run/media/minuteman/500gb/Shared.

In Nautilus(Files) I go into Other Locations/Windows Network/WORKGROUP/MINUTEMAN-PC and I see the folder Shared. I can also see it from the Windows 7 machine. However, I’m getting a password error on both machines when trying to open the folder from these locations. “Failed to mount Windows Share: permission denied” on Manjaro. Windows says I don’t have permissions to access MINUTEMAN-PC/SHARED

I’ve looked at the smb.conf file that I believe is installed by the manjaro-settings-samba package but really don’t know where to go from here.

[global]
      workgroup = WORKGROUP
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 1000
   client max protocol = NT1
   server role = standalone server
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
   pam password change = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   name resolve order = lmhosts bcast host wins
   security = user
   guest account = nobody
   usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershare
   usershare max shares = 100
   usershare owner only = yes
   usershare allow guests = yes
   force create mode = 0070
   force directory mode = 0070

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700
   valid users = %S

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no

I’m sure I’m overlooking something so I’m looking for any suggestions. I’d like to have a password free experience in file transfers to/from the Shared folder from either computer.

Thanks for any help.

That’s not a password error IMO, accessibility error …

This looks like this case which suggests

map to guest = Bad User

which you already have. Maybe capitalize?

I don’t have much (recent) experience on Samba, so maybe others might help…
Archwiki has a lot of info you might find useful, or … make it worse… :roll_eyes:

Check the permissions of the folder itself.

Capitalizing Bad User didn’t help. The Shared folder has read and write access granted to Owner, Group, and Others.

Screenshot%20from%202019-01-10%2010-57-07

Screenshot%20from%202019-01-10%2010-57-24

Ok, so this isn’t related to folder permissions. I must say I’m not used to share folders as a user. I share them through a global (static) config file in /etc/samba/smb.conf. Maybe someone else can help you on sharing a folder on-the-fly as user, because I don’t have time to dig into it at the moment.

I was able to add my user with sudo smbpasswd -a and now it lets me access the folder through the network side of Files. I’ll have to figure out how to do the same so that the windows machine has access.

On Windows, try to access it with <machine-name>\<user-name> instead of only inserting the user name.