Ask for root password to run an application

Hello,
Some applications that are important for system like Dconf Editor doesn’t want root password.
How can I make some important applications to always ask for root password when running?

I tried to find it on the web, but I did not get useful results.

It asks for our sudo password, doesn’t it?

That’s by design. If you don’t want your user to be able to do system changes, you should remove yourself from the wheel group.

It asks nothing, that is the problem.
P.S. I removed myself from wheel on first day I started using Manjaro :slight_smile: .
It just runs and I can change dconf as I want. The problem is that it asks nothing, literally, not for root passoword nor sudo.

please post the output of

groups

and btw. what did you altered at dconf ?

Statement A seems to me the consequence of statement B.

1 Like

“DConf Editor” is not a system level application; it makes changes to user settings, more specifically, to ~/.config/dconf/user.

As to menu-started applications you can play games with launching it through e.g. sudo sudo -u <theuser> or alike or more explicity grab a password – but as to said user simply typing dconf into a terminal you’d have issues, and frankly shouldn’t even want to: of the major OS-en Linux is by far worst at keeping the computer from doing what its user says…

Sure you can - but the changes you make is local to your user and stored in the file ~/.config/dconf/user

If you remove the mentioned file then dconf reads the system defaults provided by installed applications which happens to use dconf as not all does.

2 Likes

Zrzut ekranu z 2022-11-18 14-19-27
In dconf I only changed the rules of enabled and disabled gnome extensions.

To be clear: specifically as to e.g. the graphical application “DConf Editor” you could do as you ask via playing games with sudo/pkexec/polkit but it’s in the end useless; if as in that dconf case the user has access in a fundamental manner he/she can bypass any/all

That said – it used to in fact be a common occurrence on the distribution where I came from that ~/.config/dconf became root-owned due to starting a filemanager through sudo, and that has the effect of shutting the user out of his/her settings: if you don’t want your user to have any write access to ~/.config/dconf/user you could do sudo chown -R root: ~/.config/dconf and log out and back in.

Although that didn’t seem to have large detrimental side-effects, it’s a dreadful hack: just say no to trying to lock down your users from adjusting their own settings.

I did it. And my user session stopped working at all. I had to go to TTY and as a root change it back typing chown -R <user> ~/.config/dconf. I couldn’t also log back in, so yeah. I’m not typing this again, but thanks for trying ^^

Works “fine” in that above mentioned hack sense on Manjaro XFCE and used to work fine in that same sense on Linux Mint Cinnamon – but hey, if you’re running KDE or GNOME or alike, who knows, who cares :slight_smile: