"ask for password" option

Typing in your password every time you want to update, install, remove, or change settings in pamac gets very tiring very quickly. It would be nice if there was a slider that could be changed to not ask the user for their password when performing these actions. I currently have manually set my polkit options to disable the password prompt but it gets undone every update. It would be much better if the user could tick a box in settings to make it stop asking. On a desktop computer especially it seems unnecessary to ask for a password every single time when you are the only one that has access to it, plus the Google Play Store manages to get away with being password less so it can't be that big a hit to security.

the password is not only a security against others but also a very good reminder to be careful

what are you doing with pamac?
Personally, in a week, I use my password more to logging than to use with pamac and loggin is not "very tiring very quickly"

1 Like

I know, which is why it would still be enabled by default. One of the reasons I brought this up is I saw one of my friends who recently started using Linux entering their password when I asked them to without question as to what I was doing (it was an update BTW) and it made me think how they are prompted for their password so much they stop caring as to what it is they are doing.
Another thing is that there is only so much damage you can do when installing software from the repositories, so it is not very high risk of messing things up.

it's not only about peoples who have access.. but also process, programs etc.
a malicious script or whatever could use pamac (cli) to download and install crap or virus system wide behind the scene.

2 Likes

You can disable sudo password checks by editing the sudoers file, but that's generally a bad idea.

If you find it tiresome to type the password, you can change it to something very short that is easy to type. Of course, that's also a very stupid idea on a laptop where other people might see you type it and guess it, but it's not too terrible for a home desktop where you're the only user.

1 Like

*nix type of systems is built for networking and multi user which makes credentials a vital part of the system.

You can create a password less environment but you should really know what impact this has on security. There is a reason why *nix systems are difficult to get rooted in a manner where you have to reinstall - that reason is user isolation. If you remove that you have Windows 95.

2 Likes

This was only a request to have the option, but if you all think it is a bad idea, I'll trust your judgement. However, in the end it is up to the user on how to manage their system which is Linux's greatest strength. I will personally keep the password prompt disabled because I find it easier to work that way, but if you don't want to implement a toggle in settings that is perfectly reasonable. :slight_smile:

Installing updating and removing software, what else would someone use it for?

After the above clear expositions related to security implications for changing the behavior, this topic only remains a feature request for laziness and ignorance.

As if a boxer that is used to punches will start dropping their guard and let their face be melted by the oponent ?

How many times you do that per day, every day ?

1 Like

if this feature is to be used
then when do not use password is toggled on
it should toggle off aur
and should not be toggled on
if no password is on.

as i know

while installing a program
you can do anything
with a .install file

you get the super access
and its possible to mess the system which installs the package.

only reading pkgbuild you are not safe

you must download the snapshot and read the .install content

That would be sensible, yes.

Even if many people would like it, Pamac is not a software manager. You expect that it can only install or remove end user programs that can't change your system like Google Play Store but it's not the case. Pamac has access to root and can break your system, that's why you can't blindly use it without password.

I just type su in the terminal then password all the time and wallaaahh :blush:

Forum kindly sponsored by