[ARM Testing Update] 2021-03-15 - Kernels, Phosh, Plasma-Mobile-Dev, Firefox, KDE Frameworks, LibreOffice

I think I’m seeing the same symptoms as @russ502, but I am not sure because I’ve booted (on my Pinephone) the Github release of plasma-mobile-dev (Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-pinephone-dev-20210315.img.xz). I don’t understand the correspondence between Github’s releases of plasma-mobile and plasma-mobile-dev and the branches of stable, unstable and testing. Sorry if I’m out of band here, as I’m having a hard time getting a grip on how development is managed.

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1  
Linux 5.11.0-3-MANJARO-ARM  
Plasma 5.21.2

Runs fine!

Still KDE issue with System Monitor sensor intput

@russ502 I seem to be having the same issue. I had installed an image that worked, but then tonight I re-flashed my eMMC with the latest dev image and now I get a one-line error at the top of the screen and a mouse pointer. Hoping the third time is the charm. If this happens again I will edit this message to have the on-screen error text as well.

Here is the error I am seeing:

[    0.663900 ] SMCC: SOC_ID: ARCH_SOC_ID(0) returned error: fffffffffffffffffff

Currently, Plasma Mobile Dev images newer than 20210311 are broken, and so is the updates to the Plasma Mobile Dev images.

My recommendation right now, is to not update your Plasma Mobile Dev image. It’s a known issue in the Plasma Mobile Dev software and the developers are working on fixing it.

@Strit Thanks for the update. I will install the 0311 image and verify. When you say not to update the image, do you mean don’t update the phone software once booted up?

The “offending” package is kwin. So don’t update that and kwayland-server.

Got it. Is there a place where I can see the code/commits/merges for the OS updates?

Also, the 0311 image did work for me.

The system is coming from multiple places.

Upstream Arch Linux ARM = https://www.archlinuxarm.org
Upstream Plasma Mobile = Plasma Mobile · GitLab
And our own packages = manjaro-arm · GitLab

I am running the testing switch and updates while excluding kwin and kwayland-server but when I run the command I am seeing tons of 404 errors for the package updates and the ones that are not 404 I see a message about the download being “too slow”. Any known issues?

Regular users should only concentrate on the regular Plamo Image we offer:

With the upcoming Pinephone Beta Edition we will ship our new Factory Image. So any breakage of the Factory image should be reported. In regard of the Developer Image it is known that the last working one was 20210311.

So what is the difference?

• plasma-mobile ships with release tarballs
  • plasma-mobile-dev with daily git-master snapshots of all KDE software

I installed Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-pinephone-dev-20210315.img.xz, and it didn’t work, so I installed Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-pinephone-20210315.img.xz and THEN switched to the testing branch. Very little was downloaded. So, I take it that the best way to contribute to testing is to install dev-20210311 and THEN switch to testing with the pacman commands above? AND, don’t update kwin and kwayland-server (how do I configure Discover to prevent updating that?).

You’re probably thinking at this point… RTFM. I still need to read " [Wiki] How to contribute to Manjaro ARM" :slight_smile:

I don’t think you can ignore specific packages with discover.

But to update while ignoring you can do:
sudo pacman -Syu --ignore kwin --ignore kwayland-server

1 Like

Set
IgnorePkg = kwin kwayland-server
in
/etc/pacman.conf

It works for pacman and should work with discover too.
But try this out with an other package before.

Argh! Any hints on how to fix a system after updating? Boot is just stuck at KDE logo and SSH doesn’t work.

I used ALT+CTRL+F2 to open the terminal, logged in, connected wifi, then set to the stable channel, rolled back the update, and then went from there.

There’s probably a more efficient or easier way to do it, but that’s just what I went with to get things running again.

Just a heads up. The Dev images have started working again, so no need to ignore kwin and kwayland-server anymore. :slight_smile:

@lsitongia and @logart

4 Likes

On Pinephone I upgraded and still had the same issue. Also on stable. Ignoring kwin and kwayland-server did not help. Any ideas @Strit?

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1  
Linux 5.11.6-1-MANJARO-ARM  
Plasma 5.21.3 

:penguin: :penguin: :penguin: