[ARM Testing Update] 2021-02-24 - Kernels, Plasma 5.21.1, Firefox 86.0, Python

Well you can always read-up the weekly recap:

1 Like

I’m using packages networkmanager and networkmanager-qt for plasma-desktop without any special configuration. It’s still working afer this update. Without systemd-resolved !

systemctl status NetworkManager.service

output:

policy: set 'Lan 1' (eth0) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS
device (eth0): Activation: successful, device activated

I’ll dig into it more tomorrow. It was the first image I updated this morning. I should have waited until I updated my other images, to see if they confirmed the issue or not.

Keep it simple stupid - Tomorrow is another day :sunglasses:
(Sorry no penguin emoi with sunglasses there.)

Hi,

First post. Coming from Pinephone v1.2 running Mobian on SD card.
Installed Manjaro Plasma Mobile 20210221 image on eMMC.

I’ve just done the testing update and rebooted on a Pinephone v1.2 and the screen remains blank - ssh still works.
Someone on the Pine64 forum posted something about the ram clock being too high?
(see Pine64 forum showthread.php?tid=13194)

Since wifi and ssh are working and I can get dmesg / journalctl, it does boot but not the graphical session? New to Plasma Mobile so I don’t quite know what to do at this stage.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Not a boot issue as the phone is working except for the screen - dmesg and journalctl look ok, wifi and ssh work, ofonoctl list shows modem sim is registered to my operator…

I tried increasing the screen backlight but that did nothing. Pressed on button a few times but nothing happens. Very strange.

FIXED: I had to increase the backlight even more.
su
echo 950 >/sys/class/backlight/backlight/brightness

Has anyone else with a Pinebook Pro & KDE desktop environment found that you need to reboot twice after an update to get the Bluetooth working again? This happened with the previous update too.

Bluetooth on the Pinebook Pro is a bit wonky. It does not always come up after a reboot. But a complete power cycle (power down, wait a couple of seconds and then turn on) has never failed for me.

1 Like

Does anyone know what’s the status of VPU now? I think I’ve read that 5.11 brings some required changes, is working VPU achievable without kernel patching now?

The VPU drivers for Rockchip, Allwinner and Amlogic have been in the staging kernel tree for a while now.

What is missing is the userspace implementation in ffmpeg and players.
And they probably won’t do it, until the drivers move out of the staging tree and into the normal kernel tree and deemed “stable” by the kernel devs.

The change which caused NetworkManager to no longer pickup the DNS server settings from DHCP also has an adverse effect on sssd. I doubt anyone else uses this, but sssd breaks as it is no longer able to resolve the IPA/ldap servers. systemd-resolved does not “fix” this. I even set sssd to run After systemd-resolved in the service file, but that does not fix the issue. I had resort to configuring /etc/resolv.conf and setting it immutable to get sssd to find the DNS servers so it can locate the ipa/ldap servers.

Just for laughs try disabling systemd-networkd.service (leave systemd-resolved enabled) and test if it is better.

First, I tested the new NetworkManager 1.30.0-2 by disabling systemd-resolved, but that did not return the previous detection of the DNS servers from dhcpd.

Next, I did as you suggested. I disabled NetworkManager and just ran systemd-networkd and systemd-resolved. While this does not create a new and populated resolv.conf, it does work for sssd (and other processes) without the need to modify the sssd service file or the need for an immutable resolv.conf file.

So according to the KISS principle, this configuration wins. Thank you

Edit: But note, the Plasma network plug-in or whatever it is called does not activate as it no longer sees a network connection. This not not a particular issue for me, as this is for a nfsroot image, the user will know soon enough if the network connection is down. :slight_smile:

Wasn’t exactly what I wanted you to test. I wanted to test this.

NetworkManager and systemd-resolvd enabled with systemd-networkd disabled. Then reboot to test.

Ah, well… I can try that too. But then I will likely need to configure NetworkManager to not reset the network connection that is established before it starts. This all begins in the initramfs, but since I am using dracut, maybe all the files will be in place to make it work. Now suddenly less KISS. :wink:

Did you ever create a connection using netctl?

Not since starting with Manajro. But probably back when I was testing Ubuntu.

Then also run mkinicpio -p after making changes.

Oh rats, you are right. I will start over with the new NetworkManager and work forward. But this may have to wait for Monday… I need a weekend. :slight_smile:

NetworkManager and systemd-networkd do the same thing and can conflict with each other. I lost dns last week switching to wifi to test and had to disable systemd-networkd.