[ARM Testing Update] 2020-12-18 - Python 3.9 rebuilds, Kernels, Firefox, Mesa 20.3.1, KDE Apps, Gstreamer, KDE Frameworks, LibreOffice, Thunderbird

Hello ARM community.

A new testing update is here

Is the PinebookPro the best Budget Laptop? Find out!

Some Highlights

• Most of the Kernels got updated.
  • Mesa is now at 20.3.1
  • Qt6 got added to our repos.
  • Boost update might break some packages
  • KDE Apps are now at their December Release
  • KDE Frameworks got updated to 5.77.0
  • Libreoffice is now at 7.0.4
  • Thunderbird 78 is now added
  • More Cinnamon and Deepin updates
  • Gstreamer got updated
  • Haskell and other regular upstream updates
  • More Mobile and KDE-git updates

Upstream Notifications:

Older notifications

The ghostpcl and ghostxps requires manual intervention (if you have these installed):
Arch Linux - News: ghostpcl>=9.53.2-2 and ghostxps>=9.53.2-2 updates require manual intervention

The nss package requires manual intervention:
Arch Linux - News: nss>=3.51.1-1 and lib32-nss>=3.51.1-1 updates require manual intervention

The packages hplip and firewalld requires manual intervention:
Arch Linux - News: hplip 3.20.3-2 update requires manual intervention
Arch Linux - News: firewalld>=0.8.1-2 update requires manual intervention

Package Changes

(Fri Dec 18 08:06:10 CET 2020)

• arm-testing community aarch64: 2489 new and 2487 removed package(s)
  • arm-testing core aarch64: 57 new and 55 removed package(s)
  • arm-testing extra aarch64: 1080 new and 993 removed package(s)
  • arm-testing mobile aarch64: 1 new and 3 removed package(s)

A detailed list of all package changes can be found here.

Testers needed on arm-testing branch

We are in need of testers for our arm-testing and arm-unstable branches.
So if you are adventurous and want newer software quicker, we would love for you to help us test out the new packages in arm-testing branch.

All you have to do to switch to this branch is:

• Run this command to switch branch: sudo pacman-mirrors -aS testing && sudo pacman -Syyu. This will generate a new mirrorlist for you, sync your databases with the new mirror and update your system using the arm-testing branch.

We would then love for you to give feedback in our update posts in #arm:testing-updates. That way we can better find and fix bugs, before they hit arm-stable branch. Thank you!

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)

0 voters

Known Issues and Solutions

This is a wiki post, please edit it when you find a solution to an issue you encountered

Kwin crashes on startup on Pinebook Pro
This seems to be related to Mesa 20.3 and the Pinebook Pro support in kernel 5.10, as this does not seem to happen on other devices.
It does not impact 3d performance as far as I can tell. Just the OpenGL compositing in Kwin.
No solution to this issue yet…

Old Issues

My VPN no longer connects
OpenVPN 2.5.0 changed how VPN routes work.
Workaround is to downgrade to previous version (2.4.9):

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/openvpn-2.4.9*

DP Alt Mode no longer works on Pinebook Pro
This is a known issue, the hacky patch we had to enable this has broken in recent kernels.
@tsys and Ayufan are looking into it.
As a workaround you can install linux-pinebookpro again.
FIXED with linux-5.9.12-4 and linux-rc-5.10-rc7-2 and above.

brcm-patchram-plus and pi-blueooth are in conflict
See this post for workaround:
[ARM Testing Update] 2020-11-16 - Bitwarden, Mesa-Git, Pacman and kernels

Plasma Mobile Keyboard
The plasma mobile onscreen keyboard does not work with QT 5.15.0.
This is fixed by updating to kwin 5.19.3-1.1.

PinePhone uboot
This update to the PinePhone Uboot package (2020.04-2), changed how the DTS is loaded from the kernel, since the Kernel DTS for the Pinephone also changed. When doing this update on the PinePhone images from Alpha5 and back, please make this change to the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf before rebooting:

• sun50i-a64-pinephone.dtb to sun50i-a64-pinephone-1.2.dtb
  • root=LABEL=ROOT to root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO

Manual interventions:
The nss and zn_poly packages prior to version 3.51.1-1 and version 0.9.2-2 respectively, were missing a soname link each. This has been fixed in 3.51.1-1 and 0.9.2-2 of these packages, so the upgrade will need to overwrite the untracked files created by ldconfig. If you get any of these errors

nss: /usr/lib/p11-kit-trust.so exists in filesystem
zn_poly: /usr/lib/libzn_poly-0.9.so  exists in filesystem

when updating, use

pacman -Syu --overwrite /usr/lib/p11-kit-trust.so --overwrite /usr/lib/libzn_poly-0.9.so

to perform the upgrade.

Device stopped booting after Uboot update
The uboot update included a change to the extlinux.conf file. This change will be incompatible with the old 1 partition layout of some devices.
So if you are updating installs made with images 20.02.1 or older, you need to apply this fix before rebooting!
To fix this please edit your /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file and add 2 periods in front of each first slash, like so:

KERNEL ../Image
FDT ../dtbs/ #etc.
APPEND initrd=../initramfs-linux.img #etc.

Save the file and reboot.

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1  
Linux 5.10.0-rc7-1-MANJARO-ARM  and 
Linux 5.10.0-1-MANJARO-ARM 
Plasma 5.20.4 

Are working fine :evergreen_tree:

Pinebook Pro  
5.7.19-1-MANJARO-ARM
Plasma 5.20.4  
kwin 5.20.4-1
mesa 20.3.1-0.1

Still o.k. with 5.7 kernel on plasma x11 and wayland.

Does not seem to work with RPi 3B. After upgrading from kernel 5.9.xx to 5.10 the Raspi does not boot anymore. Nothing shown via HDMI. :frowning:

I switched to arm-testing from arm-stable with XFCE4 and while doing the first big update I had these errors:

( 73/134) upgrading gnome-keyring
Failed to set capabilities on file `usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon' (Operation not supported)
usage: setcap [-q] [-v] [-n <rootid>] (-r|-|<caps>) <filename> [ ... (-r|-|<capsN>) <filenameN> ]

Note <filename> must be a regular (non-symlink) file.
error: command failed to execute correctly

( 76/134) upgrading gstreamer
Failed to set capabilities on file `usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0/gst-ptp-helper' (Operation not supported)
usage: setcap [-q] [-v] [-n <rootid>] (-r|-|<caps>) <filename> [ ... (-r|-|<capsN>) <filenameN> ]

Note <filename> must be a regular (non-symlink) file.
error: command failed to execute correctly

Edit: I should add that I use nfsroot.
Edit 2: Both files are regular files, not symlinks.

kwin with X11 has been crashing on startup due to the compositor for me on RPi4. With Wayland, no issue. With X11, I switch to Xrender and that works OK.

Note: The kwin issue is not with my XFCE4 testing image but rather my KDE unstable image.

Problem introduced with the new kernel 5.9.13 on 09-Dec is still present.
When charging the PBP using the USB-C connector, I see the kernel logging the following message repeatedly:
kernel: cdn-dp fec00000.dp: [drm:cdn_dp_pd_event_work [rockchipdrm]] Not connected. Disabling cdn
It also causes lots of ‘chirping’ from the speakers! My only solution for now is to not charge by USB-C.

I looked into this and found 2 issues:

First the raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x version 20201207-1 boots just fine with the latest linux-rpi4 5.4.83-1 kernel with my pi3 model B.

The latest raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x version 20201214-1 gives a black screen and nothing happens at boot with my pi3 model B with the linux-rpi4 5.4.83-1 and the linux-rpi4-mainline 5.10.0 kernels.

The raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x version 20201207-1 boots with the linux-rpi4-mainline 5.10.0 kernel but there are several kernel stack traces mostly involving the network and you are restricted what you can do in the DE because of it using the pi3 model B.

Bottom line is STAY AWAY from the linux-rpi4-mainline 5.10.0 kernel and the raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-bootloader-x version 20201214-1 packages until they get things fixed if you are using the pi3 model B.

After this update caidao doesn’t open:

/usr/lib/caidao/caidao: error while loading shared libraries: libre2.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but they are working on it: Activity · ohfp / caidao · GitLab

pushed to branch master/bc5735e8cddfae053f114a7e98be551d86d6ddc1) · v87.0.4280.88-2 – libre2 rebuild

EDIT: removed punctuation from gitlab link that was breaking it. UPDATE: When I first posted, the caidao release to fix the issue was in the pipeline, presumably building and testing. As of now, (19 December, 17:15 New York time) the status is “pipeline failed”.

I’m failing in the “checking for file conflicts” step for the dolphin package:

(199/199) checking for file conflicts [###################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
dolphin: /usr/bin/dolphin exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/bin/servicemenuinstaller exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/include/Dolphin/KVersionControlPlugin exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/include/Dolphin/dolphinvcs_version.h exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/include/Dolphin/kversioncontrolplugin.h exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/include/dolphin_export.h exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/include/dolphinvcs_export.h exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/lib/cmake/DolphinVcs/DolphinVcsConfig.cmake exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/lib/cmake/DolphinVcs/DolphinVcsConfigVersion.cmake exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/lib/cmake/DolphinVcs/DolphinVcsTargets-noconfig.cmake exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/lib/cmake/DolphinVcs/DolphinVcsTargets.cmake exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/lib/libdolphinprivate.so.5 exists in filesystem
a bunch more in here
dolphin: /usr/share/metainfo/org.kde.dolphin.appdata.xml exists in filesystem
dolphin: /usr/share/qlogging-categories5/dolphin.categories exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

@BBreeziN
Think, it helps to deinstall dolphin first
pacman -R dolphin
and reinstall it after the package update.

Had the same issue yesterday with a very big latex font package witch were broken till upload.

P.S.: You wouldn’t loose configuration until you do a
pacman -Rns

@turux, this allowed me to complete the update, but now I can’t re-install dolphin, it fails with the same file conflict errors…

Yet dolphin still runs…which seems to probably be the issue. Dolphin is somehow installed without the dolphin package. Thoughts?

@BBreeziN
Yes. Think your pacman database is damaged.
First try to synchronize with
pacman -Syy
If this does not help there is a Arch Wiki page for that problem.

I have made a manjaro-arm kernel table for all this testing here.
If you find it usefull I will update this with the Information from here.

Did anyone get the following warning when updating?

warning: could not get file information for var/log/audit/

Aside from that, it took a couple of reboots for everything to iron itself out. After the first reboot I received an error message about a seg fault in kwin_x11:

Seems to have sorted itself out now.

Only other first impressions are that Firefox seems to be sluggish to start up, and the bouncy loading animations are gone when launching programmes on KDE.

I’m using Manjaro ARM KDE.

Yes, It seems to be an issue with our DP Altmode patches, since it does not happen on another rk3399 device (Rock Pi 4).

Yes. This seems to be caused by a regression in Panfrost.
Again, I have not seen this issue on other devices. So could also be because of the DP Altmode patches.

X11

Hmm… seems that the login kwin_x11 segfault can be re-triggered by re-enabling OpenGL detection, as per the dialogue in the picture below:

Definitely some sort of graphical regression going on the PBP.

Wayland

Wayland is still improving. It’s getting more and more usable. I haven’t spent much time with it since the update, but Firefox seems to be triggering less graphical glitches. Not sure whether it’s new, but I’ve noticed that the cursor seems to have less fluid motion when moving in front of certain windows, such as Firefox or Spyder. Still has the annoying bug where re-arranging taskbar icons crashes the session, sending you back to the login screen. However, small steps and whatnot.

Sounds like it’s when it transfers from a wayland app to a Xwayland app.

Yeah… I was pondering that.

On my PinebookPro, everything is fine. kwin_X11 doesn’t crash, no matter which rendering backend is used. However, scale method is set to ‘Crisp’, due to warning on scale method ‘Accurate’.