VScodium, one question : which?

Hi @nam1962,

I always recommend the -bin version of any software. Because it doesn’t need to be compiled or so on. And I never use, or recommend anything Flatpak. Or snap. Or whatever.

3 Likes

True, but up until the most recent update to Manjaro Stable, that would have been problematic due to the binaries offered by the AUR having been compiled against glibc 2.38, while Manjaro was still on 2.37.

At present time, Manjaro is on glibc 2.38 as well, so now there’s a better chance that the precompiled AUR stuff will work. :wink:

@nam1962, use the third package in your list: vscodium-bin from the AUR. The second one still has the telemetry built-in, and the first one is a FlatPak, which will never integrate well with your installed operating system — which kinds of defeats the purpose of UNIX… :arrow_down:

“Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.”

(Henry Spencer on Usenet, November 1987)

Never mind it being large.

There is always Code - OSS from the extra repository as well:

$ pamac search code
[...]
code  1.81.1-1 [Installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                                              extra
The Open Source build of Visual Studio Code (vscode) editor

(Which is the one I use.)

1 Like

Well, I’m not a coder anymore — that was back in the 1990s — but I do still write some stuff in bash, or more precisely, generic POSIX shell stuff. And I use — wait for it — … kate. :wink:

I was/am a web developer. I say was, because hat was full-time, then I got into an accident that stole my life from me.

Now I still do it every now and then, and I’ve learnt about VSCode, then VSCodium, and then Code - OSS.

1 Like

I’d also recommend Code - OSS because it’s in the official repository.

I do use Kate a lot too, it replaced Sublime Text as my “don’t need all the bells and whistles” editor that I use for any simpler task. Although Kate itself is quite advanced these days, it can probably do most of what VS Code can (there are plugins for LSP client, GDB, Git, etc).

1 Like

If you are going to do .NET Core development, then install visual-studio-code-bin from AUR, because it’s the proprietary Microsoft-branded version and the only one where you can install .Net Core debugger extension (proprietary part of Visual Studio).

If you plan to use it for other languages then go with the official Arch open-source Code or the community open-source with disabled telemetry VSCodium.

3 Likes

So, care to tell us which one you’ve decided upon? :wink:

:smiley:

Thank you all for these enlightments

Right now I’m using VSCode.
I’ll do so untill my Ruby on Rails full stack exams in a few weeks as it’s Le Wagon’s setup (the bootcamp I followed)

Then, I’ll test VScodium & Code OSS.

They’ll need to support my extensions !

âžś  codecode --list-extensions  
alexcvzz.vscode-sqlite
coolbear.systemd-unit-file
dbaeumer.vscode-eslint
emmanuelbeziat.vscode-great-icons
esbenp.prettier-vscode
fleshywaffles.vs-code-clippy
GitHub.github-vscode-theme
hangxingliu.vscode-systemd-support
hoovercj.vscode-power-mode
llacoste2000.unofficial-gitlab-dark-theme
marp-team.marp-vscode
ms-azuretools.vscode-docker
MS-CEINTL.vscode-language-pack-fr
ms-vscode-remote.remote-containers
ms-vscode.sublime-keybindings
ms-vsliveshare.vsliveshare
phind.phind
plibither8.remove-comments
pomdtr.excalidraw-editor
rebornix.ruby
redhat.java
ritwickdey.LiveServer
Rubymaniac.vscode-paste-and-indent
usernamehw.remove-empty-lines
VisualStudioExptTeam.intellicode-api-usage-examples
VisualStudioExptTeam.vscodeintellicode
vscjava.vscode-java-debug
vscjava.vscode-java-dependency
vscjava.vscode-java-pack
vscjava.vscode-java-test
vscjava.vscode-maven
wingrunr21.vscode-ruby
ZainChen.json
âžś

Look at:

https://open-vsx.org/

(Just discovered this awesomeness this weekend!)

1 Like

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: I do realize Code OSS is VScode !

1 Like

Yet another shameless plug for kate… :stuck_out_tongue:

Different screenshot to what I posted earlier… :arrow_down:

1 Like