[ARM Stable Update] 2024-03-14 - Kernels, KDE, Firefox, Thunderbird, Systemd, Mesa, Pipewire

I have lower amount of drivers that I has before update, especially I have no network drivers now at all. I can’t work with LAN cable as I worked earlier, also I can’t use any wireless(ex. wi-fi or bluetooth), and also I haven’t usb 3.0 drivers. I asked for help in early 20-30 of december 2023, because I don’t know how to build drivers, and I can’t fix it by myself. I said about internet in testing release topic in january or february, but I have no correct recomendations for this. I’m asking you for help again, I’m praying, please, help me.
topic, where I’ve asked for help: Support for Orange Pi 4
Thanks in advance, I’m waiting new messages about this, I hope that you can help me

Hi,

Thanks a lot to the dev for the hard work !

Feedback, kde devices, stable branch.

2024.03.14 :
Odroid c2
up date => ok emmc
built image => ok emmc

Odroid c4
up date => ok emmc
built image => ok emmc

Odroid n2
up date => ok emmc
built image => ok emmc

Odroid m1
up date => ok emmc
built image => not working on emmc module and ssd disc, is the m2 disc now bootable ?

@spikerguy
The Odroid m1 images I built doesn’t work, network issue on boot, no issue with the last stable update I applied on the “old” emmc module using for months.
This image issue is not the first time it append, more details here, thanks in advance for your help.

I did update on Pinephone and everything was fine except audio was not working.

I installed qpwgraph and i saw that everytime i did hit volume button up or down it tried to connect using libcanberra something. After reinstalling libcanberra sound worked again.

1 Like

PinePhone (original A64, Beta Edition) with Plasma Mobile here.

libcanberra kept working for me out of the box.

However, I have a regression with phone calls: The audio profile no longer switches correctly, probably because the profiles were extended (new ones added) and renamed in PulseAudio or ALSA (not sure where exactly, but the audio settings now offer a whole bunch of input/output combination preselect where previously they would just let you pick between “Play HiFi quality music” and “Make a phone call”, and then let you select the input and the output device separately manually). Now, when I make a phone call (and probably also when I receive one), I cannot hear anything until I manually go to the audio settings and switch to the “Make a phone call (Earpiece, Mic)” profile. (Until I do that, the speaker is selected for output, but does not actually output anything, the earpiece is not selected and also does not output anything.)

I am unhappy with those profile changes, the new setup breaks things that used to work (see above), and it is also less flexible (you can no longer select the input and output device independently, but only get offered a bunch of preset combinations).

UPDATE: Looks like the regression is caused by PulseAudio 17.0, in particular, this change. Unfortunately, the Plasma Mobile Dialer (at least the Plasma Mobile 5 one, no idea about Plasma 6) does not seem to support this setup. Looking at the source code of the Plasma Dialer, it uses libcallaudio from callaudiod to do the switching, so it looks like the shipped version of callaudiod is not compatible with PulseAudio 17.

UPDATE: Upstream issue found:

There is a proposed patch there:

Can we please get a callaudiod build with that applied?

I cross-compiled a custom /usr/bin/callaudiod binary (it is the daemon that matters, not the library, the library just talks to the daemon) with the above patch (plus the merge request 27 patch that is already applied by Manjaro ARM) and it fixed the issue for me. (I think you do not really want to know the hackish cross-compilation setup I used: cross-distro, cross-architecture, sysrooted, emulation-less. But it got me a working binary, so I can confirm that the patch works.)

1 Like

I have freshly installed the latest Pinebook Pro image.

On the first update sudo pacman -Syu I get this error:

(625/625) checking for file conflicts                [############################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
konsole: /etc/xdg/konsolerc exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Deleting /etc/xdg/konsolerc solved that.
I did change the fontsize for konsole, that is the only thing I can think of what could trigger this from my side.

Mine is Pinephone v1.2b, i’m using Phosh and i don’t see pulseaudio on Pamac but pipewire+wireplumber.

I saw a talk on FOSDEM were they talked about porting callaudiod to Lua scripts for wireplumber, because right now callaudiod and wireplumber fight to control the audio system and the second wins most of the time.

Starts to talk about that at minute 17:52

The Manjaro images have been going back and forth between using the original PulseAudio or pipewire-pulse. My installation uses PulseAudio, and I do not think I want to switch to Pipewire as long as, as you point out, the callaudiod issues with it are not sorted out. But PulseAudio was upgraded to 17.0, so now I need the callaudiod patch for PulseAudio 17. (I compiled it myself, but there will definitely be other users who are affected and who will not managed to do that, so an official update with the patch applied should be pushed to the stable repository.)

@Kevin_Kofler thx for the hint on the issue. I pulled both images I did for the pinephones based on this stable update. I also uploaded a patched callaudiod package to fix the issue with libpulse 17. As of now non of the pinephone images are maintained. I’m simply to busy for that.

So if someone wants to join the ARM team, let us know. We are mostly active on Matrix.

1 Like

I can confirm that the updated callaudiod package fixes the issue.

The update broke Sway on PineBookPro for me. If I try to run sway from a terminal session, I get an EGL_BAD_PARAMETER error, followed by failed to create GBM device and Failed to create a GLES2 renderer.

No more wifi after update on pinebook pro. No more wlan0 interface (only lo). I don’t know what to do.

[EDIT] after several reboots, wifi works again. I first pressed the power button for 20 seconds: I think this allows a different reboot which solved the problem.

@spikerguy

Issue on the Odroid m1, the latest image I built don’t boot on the ssd drive, m2 drive not tested. No issue with the latest stable image I built for the emmc module.

@Philm posted a message last days, you need arm contributors, developers

I’m not a dev, but for years now (Manjaro arm user since 2019.03) I build and test the images I build for the devices I own (c2, n2, c4, m1). I’m the only one to enjoy those built images, how to share those build images with others ?

arm build images details

Maintained by Strit

Sound, Video and bluetooth

alsa-utils
mpv
wireplumber
pipewire-alsa
pipewire-jack
pipewire-pulse
pipewire-zeroconf
gst-plugin-pipewire
phonon-qt5-gstreamer
libmm-glib

Display Manager

sddm
sddm-kcm

Plasma packages

bluedevil
breeze
drkonqi
kde-gtk-config
kinfocenter
kcalc
kscreen
kscreenlocker
kwallet-pam
kwayland-integration
plasma-wayland-session
kwin
plasma-desktop
plasma-nm
plasma-pa
plasma-systemmonitor
plasma-workspace
powerdevil
systemsettings
plasma-vault
plasma-firewall
oxygen
oxygen-icons

KDE applications

dolphin
dolphin-plugins
kate
konsole
ark
okular
gwenview
spectacle
krfb
krdc
keditbookmarks
kolourpaint
kdeconnect

Optional dependencies for kdeconnect

sshfs # remote filesystem browser

Themes

plasma5-themes-breath
sddm-breath-theme
manjaro-arm-wallpapers
breeze-gtk
manjaro-icons

Office suite

#libreoffice-fresh
#libreoffice-fresh-fr
libreoffice-still
libreoffice-still-fr

Browser

firefox
firefox-ublock-origin
firefox-i18n-fr

Package Manager

pamac-gtk
pamac-tray-icon-plasma

Fonts

ttf-bitstream-vera
noto-fonts
wqy-microhei chinese

Manjaro tools

manjaro-settings-manager
manjaro-hotfixes
manjaro-arm-flasher
manjaro-arm-installer
matray

Other packages

openresolv
wget
power-profiles-daemon
xdg-user-dirs
networkmanager-openvpn
firewalld
xorg-server
xorg-xinit
vlc
smplayer
samba
manjaro-settings-samba
smbclient
android-file-transfer
android-tools
android-udev
filezilla
gparted
partitionmanager
#exfat-utils
exfatprogs
screenfetch
neofetch
geoip
geoip-database
geoip-database-extra
base-devel
htop
thunderbird
thunderbird-i18n-fr
hdparm

home web server

apache
mariadb
mariadb-clients
mariadb-libs
php
php-apache
php-gd
php-fpm
phpmyadmin
#certbot
#certbot-apache
wireshark-qt
#bind
micro
fail2ban
httrack
#postfix
composer
lsof
traceroute
obs-studio
bmon

1 Like

We plan to add more images and replace the efi ones soon.

I have been busy with my personal life so hopefully things will change after March then I can give more time to arm project.

I will look into the kernel updates which must have some config disabled for nvme boot.

2 Likes

inxi is up to date on arm :slight_smile:

Please share the kernel pkg used I will look at the configs. maybe something got updated.

1 Like

Nice to read you :slight_smile: Thanks for your question.

The stable build image is working for the emmc module, but is not working for the ssd drive. I cloned the working emmc module on the ssd drive, the ssd drive is working.

Which kernel pkg is needed for your help ?

I wanted to check if any config have changed during kernel update. so wanted to make sure that I look into the kernel package that you have been using as test.

Is it correct that you’re not able to boot os from USB or ssd?

ssd is having /boot right ?

1 Like

As you know I’m a noob.

How to provide you the needed info ? uname -a or pacman -Qs linux ?

How to provide any info from a disc who don’t boot ? The latest stable built image for the M1 don’t boot on emmc module and ssd drive.

I build new images for testing

[sudo] password for nls: 
Forcing git update...
Fetching 'master' branch of ARM profiles...
Cloning into 'arm-profiles'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 22034, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (212/212), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (142/142), done.
remote: Total 22034 (delta 93), reused 160 (delta 70), pack-reused 21822
Receiving objects: 100% (22034/22034), 39.94 MiB | 44.11 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (5467/5467), done.
[nls@lap ~]$ sudo buildarmimg -d om1 -e kde-plasma -v 2024.05.04 -b stable n

Edit 1 :
The built image is running on emmc module for the m1, Enjoy !

Issue, I don’t find the login and password at boot screen, I searched and don’t found the answer on the forum, any help will be appreciate…

I tested without success:

manjaro
manjaro

manjaro

manjaro

I found the answer below, thanks to the pine64 forum
root / root
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone_Software_Releases#Manjaro_ARM

Edit 2 :
The built image is running on ssd disc for the m1, Enjoy !

So far no more issue. I keep this last stable build image for the m1 !
m2 disc not tested.

1 Like

This is cause calamares is not starting. So user account creation is absent from unstable images until calamares is fixed.

1 Like

Thanks for your detailed answer.

I saw a new arm testing update, nice, I hope a stable one for arm and x86, I’m worried for some issues.