[ARM Stable Update] 2021-12-13 - Firefox, KDE Gear, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, ICU and Kernels

The audio profile handling also seems even buggier than before:

• The phone gets left in the “Make a phone call” profile even when no Dialer is open.
  • The profiles ended up switched to the wrong output (internal earpiece for “Play Hi-Fi quality music” and/or internal speaker for “Make a phone call” instead of the opposite) a few times.
  • The volumes are also sometimes reset to wrong values.

I am not sure what component is to blame for these. Plasma Dialer?

I thought that it could not get any worse than the above regressions, but unfortunately, there is another critical issue: The battery on the PinePhone does not properly charge anymore (using the same AC adapter that used to work just fine before this update). The PinePhone has been plugged in for 2 hours and a half now, and its battery is still below 20% (currently at 19%).

EDIT: I think the problem is not so much with the charging, but with the power consumption. If I use the PinePhone unplugged, the battery level drops from 19% to 4% insanely quickly.

Another EDIT: Now it charged to 55% and still charging (still running the update this thread is about), but I do not know what changed.

Another EDIT: Now 92%. So why it is working now and not a few hours ago, I have no idea.

I made a complete backup image using JumpDrive before doing this update and I am now really thinking of rolling back. But where do I go from there then? There will be no updates for the old codebase.

I suspect the power drain issue might actually be related to the audio profile issue, because I have noticed noise sometimes coming out of the speaker and/or earpiece, especially after using the Dialer. Yet, I do not see any stream listed in the audio settings. Does ModemManager route sound directly from the modem to the sound device without going through PulseAudio? If so, the Plasma Dialer needs to turn that back off when the phone call is over, or it produces noise and drains the battery.

Unfortunately, the PinePhone power drain bug happened again! The battery dropped all the way down to 6% 3% overnight (EDIT: despite having been plugged in (!) all the night (and morning))! Without knowing what eats the battery that badly, I fear rolling back to my backup might be the only option. :frowning: (EDIT: And in fact, this is unfortunately what I am doing have just done now. I would love debugging the remaining regressions any further, but there is only so much I can tolerate on my daily driver, and having no battery power is just too much. Hopefully, we can at least find out what causes this so that I know where to report it upstream, but my attempts to track this down so far all failed and I am out of experimenting time.)

On the plus side, the Spacebar regression was fixed upstream, so one less problem to worry about in the long run.

Some people reported issues with U-Boot on the Pinebook Pro. Today I received an update for U-Boot. Does this mean some issues were fixed and it should be safe to update?

The update is suppose to fix it, but we still recieved an issue regarding it not booting from eMMC.

Scratch that, was unreleated. installing and flashing it is fine (just did on my work laptop).